MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
thewhitestuff
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took the car out on some country roads for a run and noticed that at a slightly higher-than-normal speed turning round a bend (about 30-35mph) there is a very noticeable rubbing, scraping sound, like the sound of worn brake pads on a disk (I know it isn't this as I've just had pads and disks changed and it doesn't do the sound under braking). It happens purely when the right side of the car has weight put on it when turning left sharp'ish. I think the sound is coming from the front right wheel, I looked under the arch and everything and doesn't seem to be any sign of anything lodged in any gaps and no bolts or anything loose on the suspension, really puzzled. I did notice that whatever this is caused the car to not turn left so easily, like there is a restriction, it even under steered a little at about 30-35 which I was quite shocked about. This really is worrying me, I'll probably take it down the road to the wheel place to get it checked out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
199 Posts
The steering feeling restricted doesn't sound too good. To be honest, i'd get it checked out properly by a dealer or independant place.

It could be that something has been routed incorrectly as MINI-morgan says. I had a Rover 75 a few years ago and someone had routed the ABS sensor cable the wrong way. They'd cable tied it to parts of the suspenion that meant it was rubbing against the drive shaft when i turned left. It eventually wore right through the cable and caused all kinds of problems wit the ABS and other safety systems. It fried part of the safety circuit. I can't really see an ABS cable being tough enough to restrict the steering but it's possible some other kind of cable or pipe has been installed incorrectly.

If it's not something like that, it could be something bent in the steering or suspension linkages.

i wouldn't fancy driving it around like that anyway. Are you a member of the AA or RAC? Could be worth giving them a shout. That's what i did when the Rover ate it's ABS cable. It meant that they could give me a list of things that were wrong instead of paying the dealership over the odds to tell me.

·
thewhitestuff
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problems been resolved now I think. when I got home I gave the wheels and tyres a clean and cleaned the whole of the undersides of the wheel arches and suspension parts/brakes. Didn't seem to be making any noises when I drove it today but then again I didn't really take any corners too quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts