MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mini is 6 weeks 'old'. I've not been out in the dark very much yet, but the few times I have, I've found the headlights to be very poor (I've got the standard ones). When dipped they seem very 'short' (and that's after I've used the height adjuster gadget to raise them to the highest setting) - to the point that I find myself feeling uncomfortable with the lack of visibility they provide. The lights on my previous car weren't brilliant, but they were much better than Mini and I could see a reasonable distanct. Minis lights don't seem to penetrate the dark very well - they're 'ok' on full beams but still not brilliant.

Thinking of taking it to dealer and getting them to check they are adjusted properly.

And no, I don't need my eyes testing ;-)

·
1xCooper & 2xClubmans...
155 Posts
Sprite,

Sorry to hear about your lights :( - I think it might just be your units. I had a Mini One as a courtesy car a couple of weeks ago, and used it overnight and in the rain and gloom (I had it for two days). I found the lights okay - not significantly inferior to my Cooper's Xenons (although the Xenons are definitely better) and quite a bit better than the Citroen Xsara I'd driven a few weeks before ( :eek: ). (I even commented to my wife about how good the MINI One lights were considering how spoilt I'd been so far with the gas discharge units...)

Interesting to see how the garage find them when you take it in... Good luck! ;)

:red:

·
Mini Crazy
62 Posts
yeah talk to your garage, the lights not being good enough doesnt look like a common problem, i find them very effective even whilst dipped.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I must say I had a ford Ka before my Cooper and i'd agree with you that the lights are not as good.

I'm thinking of replacing my bulbs :eek:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm I'd wondered about changing the bulbs - I'll look into that. Don't really want to spend a fortune but would like to be able to see at night!

·
Registered
169 Posts
arbee said:
are these the new lights on a 2005 model or is it pre facelift?
Mine is a 54 facelift, it's not that i don't think there really crap, i just think they could be a tad brighter.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is a 54 facelift too. Booking it in for a check at the Dealers soon - have spoken to them and they say it doesn't sound right. If they find that they are 'correctly' adjusted, I'll be looking for new bulbs I think!

·
" Wooooosahhh! "
46 Posts
sylvania silverstars :D I bought two sets: one for high beams and one for lows. And wow, they make a BIIIGGG difference from stock halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I thought the 2005 model had improved lights? Glad i've opted for Xenons.

'Blue' bulbs will be worse than an upgraded standard colour version, i know its cool to look like Xenons but i read in an Auto Express article it reduces lighting ability quite a bit.

-Rob

·
Registered
188 Posts
robfenn said:

'Blue' bulbs will be worse than an upgraded standard colour version, i know its cool to look like Xenons but i read in an Auto Express article it reduces lighting ability quite a bit.

-Rob

hm.. that's quite odd to hear. I've replaced bulbs before on a different car and it improved visibility. The only problem is the lifetime of the bulb since it usually burns brighter. Also make sure you don't touch bulb with your oily fingers or i'll burn up real fast.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, got lights adjusted yesterday. Apparemtly they were a bit low. They do seem better now - tried them out last night.

I'd like to find out what bulbs I can use - the service chap seemed to be saying that you can't upgrade them at all, apart from getting the whole Xenon unit?!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sprite, sorry to hear that your headlights is not bright enough. Like you, I have standard lights on my cooper and have no problem with visiblity. Currently, I have Philips Vision Plus. They are awesome, I would highly recommend these bulbs for your car. You could also buy an aftermarket HID xenon plugin kit that range from $300-$400 USD, a good investment for looks, safety, and visibility. Anyhow, I have some pics of my current headlights at night. If you want to see how it performs, let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
eurazn said:
Sprite, sorry to hear that your headlights is not bright enough. Like you, I have standard lights on my cooper and have no problem with visiblity. Currently, I have Philips Vision Plus. They are awesome, I would highly recommend these bulbs for your car. You could also buy an aftermarket HID xenon plugin kit that range from $300-$400 USD, a good investment for looks, safety, and visibility. Anyhow, I have some pics of my current headlights at night. If you want to see how it performs, let me know.
Please post the pictures. I would like to have a look. Many thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Last but not least :D

I would say that my currrent headlight is bright as my old 2003 maxima xenons and my mom's 2000 528i helogen, but not bright as my dad's 530i xenon. They are godly awesome.

·
Registered
169 Posts
robfenn said:

-Rob
I Must say in the past on old cars i've replaced headlights with the blue one's and i had much better light than before, don't know what blubs Auto Express have been using.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
eurazn said:
They aren't so bad now they've been adjusted properly - but they're still not brilliant. I assume it's 'safe' to put different bulbs in the standard unit?!

·
Registered
71 Posts
sprite said:
Well, got lights adjusted yesterday. Apparemtly they were a bit low. They do seem better now - tried them out last night.

I'd like to find out what bulbs I can use - the service chap seemed to be saying that you can't upgrade them at all, apart from getting the whole Xenon unit?!
Does anybody know if the optional front spots aleviate the shortcomings of the non-Xenon lights or are they just to give you a bit of a "retro rally" look? In fact do they really add anything - even if you have Xenons? Perhaps they throw a more direct full beam?? Dunno?

However, a pair of spots might be a cheaper option than full a Xenon upgrade.

Fraz

1 - 20 of 32 Posts