MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was travelling home from work this afternoon doing about 60 down a county road and passing an oncoming lorry when something whacked the windscreen. Now there is a circular smash on the windscreen about the size of a 50p but maybe a little bigger. Any ideas if I will be able to get this repaired. I think my insurance will cover it but I need to get my certificate back from the dealer first. I think the excess is only about £50 but I think I have an additional compulsory excess of £250 for being under 25 and it says this applies in addition to any other excess so may be cheaper to pay myself.

·
Registered
333 Posts
alfi said:
I was travelling home from work this afternoon doing about 60 down a county road and passing an oncoming lorry when something whacked the windscreen. Now there is a circular smash on the windscreen about the size of a 50p but maybe a little bigger. Any ideas if I will be able to get this repaired. I think my insurance will cover it but I need to get my certificate back from the dealer first. I think the excess is only about £50 but I think I have an additional compulsory excess of £250 for being under 25 and it says this applies in addition to any other excess so may be cheaper to pay myself.
Hmmm check how much a windscreen is first - I seem to remember my friend having to get one for her ONE and it was quite pricey. I think windscreen excess is different - you should only have to pay £50. Give your insurance a ring and ask them!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Sprite

The same thing happend to me, is it a big whole or is it a crack, if its like a bubble that and hasn't come through to the inside, they should be able to fix it without replacing the windscreen, my insurance company did this free of charge.

Contact your insurance company and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Happened to be a couple of weeks back - BIG bang and when I had recovered from the shock I couldn't see any damage to the screen. Forgot all about it until I was driving home in the dark and someone's headlight shon onto my screen and illuminated a 5" crack from under the drivers wiper.

The crack had formed during my drive home and the original damage was actually under the wiper blade, hence I didn't spot it at first. Anyway, required a new screen - even if I'd spotted it before it started to creep, I doubt it'd have been fixable as it was quite a decent sized bit of damage from the stone.

It was a lorry that threw the stone that hit my car too, and another one did the same two days later with the new screen in the same stretch of road! :eek: Fortunately, the second stone didn't do any damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts