MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well had a blow out on the M40 yesterday in my JCWS and for the first time I am glad I had run flats. Wheels are the R105's and think the tyres Pirelli

Anyway wanted some advise

I continued on at around 45-50 mph as guided to try and get home and then after a few miles the car started vibrating badly to the point where it felt uncomforatble so I pulled off the motorway and stopped.

The tyre looked very badly damaged so I decided to call Mini Assist. They were great and were with me in about 45 mins and offered to take me and the car home or to a garage.

We could not find a garage open so took it home

Anyway I am not sure if this incident would have damaged the suspension so is it better to
just go to a Tyre replacement centre nearby to come around and fit a new one or get mini assist to take the car to a mini garage to give it a full check.

I know they write in the handbook that you can drive up to 90 miles but clearly that is the ideal world scenario.

One thing for sure if I go to the mini garage I will pay twice as much for the tyre

Anyway any advice welcome

Antony

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Have a new tyre fitted at a tyre centre, or buy online, as this will be cheaper than the dealer.

If there is any fault there after the tyre is fitted, you can book it in at the dealer to be checked :)

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
You would have had to pull over and call the tow truck anyway?
Just what I was thinking. :) Its an old wives tale that normal tyres on an MCS will just fall to pieces which is almost true on Ford KA but on a newer car with performance tyres then they are pretty tough. Low profile performance tyres should be very strongly belted with hard walls to sustain the speed and load rating so wont just blow to pieces. Runflats will always be better ofcourse but the main difference is the ability to drive home or not.

·
Noob
247 Posts
Not sure if any of you have seen this Run Flat article on You Tube?

I think I'll stick with Run Flats - just as a piece of mind I guess. Hurts the sky rocket however.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I saw that but I didn't see her veer off the road and crash like she mentioned. I have been driving for over 20 years and I have had flats and blow outs. Never have they ended in a crash. I simply pulled off the road and swapped the tire out. Ok, so I don't have a spare but I do have a repair kit or can call a tow if needed. I think the hype over RF's is just to make sales on a more expensive tire to be honest. They are new technology and have a long way to go.

My runflats made my MINI pull and veer violently when roads were not even. To me this is more of a safety hazard than getting a puncture. Also, if get a puncture, you are supposed to get it fixed quickly. Some people will use them to drive on which is very dangerous.

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Shame she didnt do the test with the non runflats also. :( Runflats are good and depends on what the drivers wants. A flat in the middle of the countryside where you dont know where you are isnt much fun. Veer off the road?? Hmmm maybe if the drag was big enough or if it was rear and you spun out? Id be more concerned with rolling over in that case.

I have driven a MINI with 4 flat runflats and it is impressive :) Everyday I think i'll pay a third of the price and get nearly double the milleage out of mine. :) That extra £400 will pay for RAC, AA or whatever twice over.

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
My runflats made my MINI pull and veer violently when roads were not even. To me this is more of a safety hazard than getting a puncture.
I've only owned my Coooper s for 4 weeks but within the first 2 days of ownership I had 2 'heart stopping' moments where the steering snatched violently on less than pefect roads. I thought the car had a suspension/steering fault but was told it is a trait of the run flat tyres.:hmph:

I'll be going for non run flats when they are worn out to get rid of this undesirable trait.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I drove about 70 miles on 2 flat runflats at a max of 50mph, so I think you were maybe an exception to the rule or maybe I was????

She did have a bit of a problem with her terminology in that clip, she called them the "Run on Flats" and the "Mini S Cooper" :confused: I think that probably sums up her expertise?

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
She did have a bit of a problem with her terminology in that clip, she called them the "Run on Flats" and the "Mini S Cooper" :confused: I think that probably sums up her expertise?
The correct term for this type of tyre is 'Run On Flat/s'. :wink: :tongue:

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Dunlop Uk's site refers to them as ROF tyres. Do a search for tyres on an R56 Cooper S with 204-45-17 tyres and you'll get a screen with ROF in the technical box. Dunlop Tyres UK

When I spoke to the tyre Techs at Dunlop they refered to them as Run On Flat tyres also.

I'm guessing the woman in the video just repeated the term she was told for that brand of tyre.

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
Why you should have normal tyres

Normal non-runflat tyres:

• Are cheaper
  • Offer more grip
  • Ride better
  • Last longer
Why you should have runflat tyres

If you suffer a puncture and loose pressure quickly, you can continue to drive to your destination. I have done so on a completely flat front runflat and performance and handling was about 90% normal. Sometimes runflats can also be repaired (I've had two done at BMW dealers at about £10 each time).

You shouldn't waste money on runflats for this benefit though

If you suffer a complete blowout at speed, a runflat tyre might just save your life. I've been in a car with low profile tyres which suffered a rear blowout at speed. My father had great difficulty bringing the car to a safe stop, by which time the tyre was smoking badly and shredded to pieces.

I agree that most blowouts probably won't result in you veering off the road, but you could be the unlucky one.

Life is about taking risks, so why not take all the airbags out of your car - it will become lighter, quicker and handle better, after all most of us never use them.

Runflats aren't perfect but after 85,000 miles of using them I feel safer

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Its worth noting that a lot of the 18" tyres are reinforced, not runshat but better than say a 15" steely.

Think about a 15" wheel on a MINI, if it goes flat, there is a hell of a lot of sidewall to deflate which is going to cause the car s angle, weight distribution of the car, suspenion geomtry etc etc. Not good at high speed.

However take my 18" wheel and tyres for example, the sidewall on that is about 1.5" and VERY stiff, if that goes flat the car is not going to alter as much as a 15" wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi This is Peter

I would suggest that you would change the tyre as well, but chk the wheel bearings and other technical things with the service center. This would remove suspicion from ur mind and if so anything would have happened before excessive damage it would have been known to u. Explain the same scenario to the service advisor whom u would meet so that it could be easy for them to detect if any present.

Thanks and Best of Luck,

Peter

Well had a blow out on the M40 yesterday in my JCWS and for the first time I am glad I had run flats. Wheels are the R105's and think the tyres Pirelli

Anyway wanted some advise

I continued on at around 45-50 mph as guided to try and get home and then after a few miles the car started vibrating badly to the point where it felt uncomforatble so I pulled off the motorway and stopped.

The tyre looked very badly damaged so I decided to call Mini Assist. They were great and were with me in about 45 mins and offered to take me and the car home or to a garage.

We could not find a garage open so took it home

Anyway I am not sure if this incident would have damaged the suspension so is it better to
just go to a Tyre replacement centre nearby to come around and fit a new one or get mini assist to take the car to a mini garage to give it a full check.

I know they write in the handbook that you can drive up to 90 miles but clearly that is the ideal world scenario.

One thing for sure if I go to the mini garage I will pay twice as much for the tyre

Anyway any advice welcome

Antony

·
Registered
51 Posts
The fact that the tyre is not leaking is not because it is a run flat. I've had one screw and one nail puncturing my normal tires just like that, no leak until I removed them. Since they were not run flats, cheap and easy to get fixed, airtight for the rest of the service life. No run flats for me, happy with normal tires and a spare in my Clubman.

·
MINI2 Veteran
701 Posts
I have had runflats on my most recent cars, I hate them! - Harder ride, super expensive to replace.

Also, none of my local garages will repair them, so every time I get a puncture, its a new tyre. And at up to £150 for my old 1 series, thats not a cheap thing.

Sticking with the normal tyres on the new mini, shes running great with them!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts