MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
cristo
2,813 Posts
Update

Ive now had this diagnosed and was told it is one of the front tyres either the "run flat sensor" has fell off or broke or each wheel is set to sit on certain place and that one is meant to be elsewhere? He was unsure which. But apparently they have a sensor behind the valve? anyone had any experience of this? Because only option is dealer now because most garages wont have a clue I dont think. Anyone know if it has sensors behind the valves as well? So within the tyre I guess?
I wouldn't say that it has been diagnosed - more like looked at and a few wild guesses.
On the first gen MINIs the ABS sensor is the run flat sensor. It fits into the each hub and
has a wire running to it.
The 2nd gen MINIs use a wireless pressure sensor on the inside of the valve/tire.
As you said it's an R50 that would mean a first gen MIN CooperI. If it's a 2007 or later cooper,
then it's an R56 (2nd gen) MINI Cooper.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
thanks cristo, but this has been said before, but if you look over the post, the first gens 01-02ish dont appear to use abs sensors, they have a runflat sensor on the drivers back wheel side. Its located inside the wheel arch. They then scrapped this and used abs sensor it seems, maybe my auto electrician guessed, I'm not sure. Problem is he said it is saying its an issue on the front, either flat or sensor broke. But there is no sensor there, I'm not even sure my car has ABS too, but it definitely has a sensor in the back (as pictured in the forum) so maybe it has both? The problem is so few people seem to know it actually has the runflat sensor itself in the back because its not on many models.

All I can do I guess is go to bmw dealer and see if they can shed any light on it, but I have the feeling they won't know exactly as its quite rare it seems. I have already replaced the switch and tried another runflat sensor (albeit second hand).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back with the book in hand.

Early MINIs until 3/2002 have a separate RDW control module (RDW = tire pressure monitoring)
(part number 61 35 6 801 252 is pictured, but I can't verify that part number in realoem, etc.),
located in the right rear quarter panel, and in MINIs after 3/2002 ,
the RDW function is integrated in the ABS or ABS/DCS control module, located in the rear engine
compartment cowl area.

Hope it's not the ABS control module, as they're pretty pricey (1700-2100 for the whole unit , 700-1100 for the repair kit,
ABS is cheaper than ABS/DSC)

It could even be something as simple as a faulty reset switch.
You are a legend mate just took out back light drivers side and replaced the dws/rds unit it knocked out the orange light immediately when I switched ignition on
Thanks a million?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts