MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have only had my MCC for a couple of weeks so I'm not very up to speed with all the warning lights yet. About a week ago when I started up my car on a very cold morning my yellow ! came on, which I assumed is the run flat tyre light. I turned my engine off, looked around the tyres, couldn't see any problem (can you see a problem with run flats if there is one?) and then turned my engine back on and the light had gone off.

This morning, this whole thing happened again, freezing cold morning, the light came on, I re-started my engine and it went off again.

My dealer told me when I have a flat my yellow exclamation light would flash, but it isn't flashing, it's just on.

Is this just cold weather playing with my sensors etc or what? Anybody have any ideas as it's worrying me lots.

Thanks

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
Have you checked the pressure in your tyres?
If not then get a reliable gauge and make sure they are all at the same pressure.
Once they are all the same pressure then reset the indicator following the instructions in the owners handbook.

If the light still comes on after this then take it to the dealer.

good luck :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I will get my boyfriend to do that for me tonight! I was wondering if it would have something to do with the fact that the temperature drops a lot over night on these cold winter mornings and the car might be detecting this, I assume as the temperature goes from OK to freezing some pressure will change in the tyres?

I am worried because I got a nail stuck in my back tyre about 2 days after I received the car but the light never came on at the time at all, and it was in the tread and about 1cm deep so I thought it was fine, I am hoping I'm not loosing air from that tyre, but surely the light would be on all the time if there was a problem and wouldn't go off when I re-start, and wouldnt come on just in the mornings, plus the nail got stuck some time ago.

·
1xCooper & 2xClubmans...
155 Posts
I've had my Tyre light come on twice in the last few weeks, first time red !, then second time yellow !.

Checed the tyres at the earliest opportunity and found time one that front nearside had gone down to 20psi, second time found offside rear had gone down to 20psi also. Not sure why both times gave rise to different colour lights for the same pressure drop, but topped them back up at the service station, reset the light, and they've been fine since...

First time I also went into MINI to get them to check out the front tyre for a slow puncture or leaky valve, but they found nothing and suggested that it might have been 'hitting a bump mid corner at speed' that knocked some air out of the tyre enough to cause the sensor to trigger... Sound feasible? :confused:

Karly, I'd check yours using a garage air line (not perfect by any means, but liely more accurate than a £5 jobby from Halfords) asap, especially considering the nail thing. Could have a slow... Remember to start counting the number of miles you've driven since the light came on as well, as the warranty may be affected if you drive further than recommended in the handbook with the light on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm going to have to have a chat with my dealer. All this yellow light business is worrying me, and now I know they can go red as well, what's the difference? I assume yellow is a not so bad pressure loss and a red is a very bad pressure loss. But why does it keep going off when I re-start my engine, baffling. If I find out anything interesting I will let you know!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think that tyre warning light is a pile of pants. I replaced all four wheels & tyres at the weekend, and had to drive a mile to our petrol station to top one up with air - it was down to 11psi ! Did the light come on? No!

A friend also had a puncture recently, he thought the car felt strange and took it to the nearby garage to be checked - 0psi in the front left - STILL NO WARNING LIGHT!!

·
Gutter Princess
3,464 Posts
On my way to a run yesterday my warning light came on. I pulled over - rang Mini, and they said re-set the run flat warning system... Apparently it often gets triggered even if there isn't a puncture....they told me to drive on and if it comes back on then more than likely I have a puncture. I felt no instability when driving and couldn't tell which tyre was 'possibly' punctured... drove a further 50 miles, no warning light. Then checked tyre pressure (thanks to Scooperman UK) and the left rear tyre was a bit down so we pumped her up.

On way home the light suddenly came back on - I felt very unstable and had to pull over off the Motorway. Rang Mini again - they said to press on - I still had 40 miles left of 'safe' driving.... but if I was experiencing further probs, they would come and get me. I thought, s*d it... I'll try and find a kwikfit and sort the whole thing myself... that way at least I could motor back home and in relative safety.

What I learnt is that:

Twice my light has come on - both times I did have a puncture
Don't depend on your runflats to keep you going - on a motorway it's too much of a risk to other drivers
Thank God for runflats as it means I don't have to change a tyre
Runflats are useless because if you had a spare all would be sorted.

I can't win! But I still love my Mini. and yesterday I had a mini adventure. Came home safe and sound :)

Karly - take your car in and have it checked out. It's not worth the risk in my humble opinion. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I spoke to my dealer and he said it's more than likely just the cold weather making my sensor come on, but he said to check the tyre pressure. I have my car booked in on the 6th January to have it's seatbelts fixed, ever since I took delivery of my Mini the seatbelts in the front of the car have been twisted, and it isn't something I can twist back myself, they have to be taken apart, so I will see how the tyre light goes for a couple of weeks after I've done their pressure and if it's still coming up I will make them take a look into it I think in January.

·
MINI Fan (atic)
276 Posts
Tubby said:
I've had my Tyre light come on twice in the last few weeks, first time red !, then second time yellow !..
Wow, I did not know that the runflat had a "red" mode; only yellow (solid) and yellow (flash). Solid means there is a problem with the unit, and flashing means you have a flat.

Anyone able to shed light on the meaning of the red light? Tubby, can you please post whether the red is a solid light or a flashing one...? This also raises the possibility of there being another warning light (solid or flashing red, depending on which one Tubby's is not...)

I also had the runflat light go on (flashing yellow) on the 2nd day I had the car (about a week ago) and as I was close to local MINI dealer, I drove in. The tech checked the pressure on all 4 tyres, reset the system, and since then I have had no problems.

Maybe the units are a little temperamental, or due to changes in temperature. Any long-term owners recall if this happened last winter....?

Better safe than sorry, I gotta say.

Also, I would rather have runflats than not (even if they are a bit of a pain sometimes), as if it is raining, etc. you don't want to be gettting out and fiddling with tyres, jacks...etc. Especially if you are going out for a nice meal...etc. Who wants dirty, oily hands which you would then put all over the steering wheel, gearknob, etc.

Another also; my previous car was a Clio 16v, and the spare was under the boot of the car, and this got nicked (I only found out when I had a flat, maybe 4-5 months later; was not happy as I had already jacked the car up.... :eek: ) This way there is no spare to nick!
If runflats are causing you aggravation, just remember this.... The reason there are runflats on the MINI in the first place is that the valuable spare tyre space is taken up by the MINI's amazing multi-linkrear axle.... the main reason why MINI's handle so great!!!!!!

Yet another also (editing as I go, so.... ;) ); the weight saving of 15-20kg will save you some petrol (anyone able to figure out how much...?), offsetting some of the extra expense of new runflat tyres.

Kodak.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
AMT said:
I think that tyre warning light is a pile of pants. I replaced all four wheels & tyres at the weekend, and had to drive a mile to our petrol station to top one up with air - it was down to 11psi ! Did the light come on? No!

A friend also had a puncture recently, he thought the car felt strange and took it to the nearby garage to be checked - 0psi in the front left - STILL NO WARNING LIGHT!!
The system works and it works well as long as it has been set up correctly.

Suggest everyone reads their manual on how to set it ;)

Probably best to set it every now and then for example after pumping up the tyres.

I once did an experiment where I set it and then took 5psi out of one tyre, it didn't notice it. I then took another 5psi out the same tyre and the warning light came on within a mile or two.

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
Both times I have had flat tyres my run flat light has come on. However I can't remember if it was red or amber or flashing or on permanently!! The only thing I would say though is that as the side walls of run flat tyres are thicker than non run flats, it's not always easy to tell which tyre has low pressure. Both times I had to go round the car and check the pressure on each tyre. The only other thing I noticed was that the run flat light didn't come on until I got on the motorway as apparently you need to do a few miles for the flat to be detected by the car and as I generally do fairly short trips it probably took the motorway to trigger it. Apparently slow puncture's are also sometimes not picked up as it's only when there is a big pressure difference between the tyres that it gets noticed - I could be wrong on this but this is what I was told.

For me run flats are fab as I have absolutely no intention of changing wheels etc.!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you say that the yellow light constantly stays on when there is a problem with the unit, and it flashes when there is a flat, what do you mean by the word unit? Mine is just constantly on, but as I say, disapears when I re-start the engine so I am very inclined to think that it is just the cold weather making my light come on. As long as it isn't flashing and it continues to just disapear I guess there is no immediate problem to worry about.

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
Sounds very odd that it only comes on when you start the engine. Both times I had a flat it didn't come until I had driven some way. As your car is going to the garage anyway it's worth getting it checked out. When my rear tyre was flat I realy couldn't tell that much from driving the car, it was obvious when it was the front tyre as the car was pulling to the side of the flat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I might be wrong but, I thought that the run flat system worked out whether any of the tyres were lacking in pressure by measuring the rpm of each wheel, as a deflated tyre will rotate quicker. This is why you need to do a few miles so that the sensors have enough data to play with (as the difference in rotation speed will not be huge with runflats). Therefore, if the sensors come on during start up, it is probably not due to any of your tyres being under inflated?

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
holder said:
I might be wrong but, I thought that the run flat system worked out whether any of the tyres were lacking in pressure by measuring the rpm of each wheel, as a deflated tyre will rotate quicker. This is why you need to do a few miles so that the sensors have enough data to play with (as the difference in rotation speed will not be huge with runflats). Therefore, if the sensors come on during start up, it is probably not due to any of your tyres being under inflated?
Which is what I was kind of trying to get at when I said I had to drive a few miles vefore the light came on!! Thanks for putting it better than I was managing to!

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
holder said:
Spot on, we talk about pressure sensor but it has nothing to do with the pressure. It is the circumference that is measured. I have had the light come on once a few kilometres after I hit a brick, when I stopped I found a huge gash in the sidewall.

There's lots of info in the Tyres Forum.

·
1xCooper & 2xClubmans...
155 Posts
Kodak said:
Wow, I did not know that the runflat had a "red" mode; only yellow (solid) and yellow (flash). Solid means there is a problem with the unit, and flashing means you have a flat.

Anyone able to shed light on the meaning of the red light? Tubby, can you please post whether the red is a solid light or a flashing one...? This also raises the possibility of there being another warning light (solid or flashing red, depending on which one Tubby's is not...)
Ooh - You've got me wondering if I saw the colours correctly now... :confused: :(

From what I recall the light was on permanently from when I started my journey home to when I got to the garage. Checked the tyres, pumped up the one in question, pushed and held the reset button, and the steady light changed from red to yellow :eek: (still steady). Not happy with that, as the last time it happened, I pushed and held the reset button and the light went off completely... :confused: Pushed and held the button again, nothing happened - still steady yellow. :( Pushed and held it again, and this time the yellow light blinked and then went off... :)

Checked tyres pressures at the end of my trip and all still pumped up and fine. Anyone else know of different clour light on the runflat system? For info mine is a new ('54 plate) August '04 build MC...

·
There is no spoon
179 Posts
I have had both, slow puncture and flat as a pancake. Never saw a red light. As for runflats I won't go into one here, as this is widely covered in the tyre section. Took me a while to come round to the general consensus that they are rubbish. Ever since changing to real tyres I am driving a different car. No tram lining, no fillings being shaken out of my teeth and finally cheaper to buy. You get yourself a can of tyre weld which will get you to a garage or tyre dealer in the event of a puncture, which the run flat is suppose to. Most run flat punctures are not repairable either. Lost a £120 two week old runflat. My tyres are now costing me £75 and have the benefits above. Tyre weld £7.99 a can.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I check the tyre pressure last night and the tyre which I had my nail stuck in was a little tiny, tiny bit down but nothing major, infact all of them werent on the exact pressure. But then again, I didn't check the tyre pressure when I left the showroom a month ago so it could have been exactly like that then. I have re-set the button and so far, so good!

P.S Mick, I love your picture of the Pug under your name. My boyfriend is a huge fan of Pugs and I keep promising him when we get our own house together next year that he can have one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.