MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be some confusion over the cost of replacing a single run flat tyre.

I emailed Customer services at BMW who provided me with this reponse...

With reference to your query, your local Dealer can order the 16" run flat tyre on part number 36.12.0.138.975 although I do not have an exact price for them. They would need to order it through the Tyre Programme on 01788 541919.

So I called the number and ended up speaking to a dealer who quoted me £127.66 excl VAT, excl Fitting.

They also told me not to worry because BMW have estimated that you get a puncture every 100,000 miles.

So there we have it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for providing that number. I contacted the Technical Services manager at the local BMW dealer and he quoted me £200 ea. incl VAT and fitting for the 16" Dunlop run flats!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Those tyres (Dunlop) are available for ~£80 from www.mytyres.co.uk . You need to pay extra for someone to fit them but that should be about £15 max per tyre, so looks like a big profit for your dealer who probably outsources the job anyway.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If I changed my runflats to a non-runflat will my car fail an MOT ? I have no spare. :confused:

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
wrenny said:
If I changed my runflats to a non-runflat will my car fail an MOT ? I have no spare. :confused:
Curious one this :)

In the UK when you submit your car for an MOT and it has a spare they will inspect it and if it is not legal you'll fail the test.

However even if you should have a spare and you remove it then you pass. I used to do this every year on a car I had and the spare was marginal.

So after that long winded story, no you wouldn't fail the MOT test ;)

·
Registered
581 Posts
KenL said:
Curious one this :)

In the UK when you submit your car for an MOT and it has a spare they will inspect it and if it is not legal you'll fail the test.

However even if you should have a spare and you remove it then you pass. I used to do this every year on a car I had and the spare was marginal.

So after that long winded story, no you wouldn't fail the MOT test ;)
Crazy, but believable :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Parc77 said:
Agree with Ken ive had quotes of around £90 inc vat from local tyre companies, and bmw quoted me ninetyodd quid for 1 tyre exc vat which adds upto around £112per corner.
But thanks to a special deal I had 2 fitted for £100
I was quoted £65 inc vat for a dunlop - non runflat
£100 for two! Must have been a buy one get one free deal. Lucky you :)
As Ken says, my dealer must have quite a mark-up! Anyway the best I have found so far locally for 195/55x16 HR RF's is
Dunlop £140, Goodyear £123 and Pirelli £103 inc VAT, valves and fitting.
The mail order option of Dunlops at £85 sounds good but by the time you add shipping and fitting they'll work out more than the Pirelli's. I'll need to check out more local suppliers. Still need to decide on whether or not to go to non-RF's also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts