MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please tell me why I have a jack in the boot of my Cooper S when it has Run-Flats? Before I take it out, for what posible reason should I leave it in?

Cheers,
Luke

· Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,253 Posts
Because if you ever need to jack up the car (such as to put on snow tires or race tires is about all I can think of at the moment) and you don't use that jack, you either need to fashion some sort of block to fit into the jacking point, use a different jacking point (I'm talking about the ones on the edge of the car, under the sideskirts) or you'll probably have the car fall off the jack.

Early on, MCS' didn't have a jack, and several people used normal floor jacks with the jacking points and had some near misses which they reported on here and to MINIUSA. Since then, MINIUSA has included a jack, probably because its way cheaper to put one in every MCS then it is to pay for a lawsuit if someone had the car fall on them.

The jacking points will only work with the MINI Jack or something similar, and as they can't remove the jacking points, it makes sense to include the correct jack.

· Registered
2,559 Posts
I took my jack out about 11 months ago, I too was mystified as to what it was there for.
I can't think of a reason to keep it in the car all of the time :confused:

· Owner & Motoring Advisor
158 Posts
Oh, well, that's the number that's on the bag in the MCSC that's here in the showroom. I don't imagine its any different from the hatch version. I'm guessing you already truncated the -01 at the end to make it the right number of digits...

Have you tried calling a parts dept? They'd probably be able to find it with their software.

3,253 Posts
It seems descriptive enough.

Bag of Tools. I didn't check since I thought you had the #, but I'm pretty sure at a glance that's the same # on my Hatch's bag.

The price also seems appropriate ie its not just the bag without the tools.

· M5 Extraordinare!
7,034 Posts
SteveM3 said:
I took my jack out about 11 months ago, I too was mystified as to what it was there for.
I can't think of a reason to keep it in the car all of the time :confused:
Hahaha maybe I should take it out too... I have no idea why I carry it around... not like I'm going to use it in the middle of the highway... Roadside assistance thats what they're for.

3,253 Posts
MJ. said:
Good idea, but when you've only got 4 wheels how do you take the first and second off to swap? :confused:
Actually, if I recall, since a MINI is so rigid, if you jack it up a bit higher then you usually do, you can take off both wheels on that side of the car. I'm not sure if that's a very good rotation plan, but it is possible, and allows you the front to back rotation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.