MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
MCS R53 Red and Whitey
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 04 plate Cooper S

Driving back from the (non BMW) dealer the dreaded Runflat light comes on and will not go off.

Checked the tyre pressure at the nearest garage and nothing seemed obviously wrong.

Then did 200 miles at a steady 90 without incident though the light staid on.

Tried holding the button by the handbrake down but it didnt turn the light out, is this the recommended way to do a reset?

Anyway the front tyres look a bit knackered so am thinking of replacing 2 or all 4.

How do I know if I have runflat tyres? and ditto to rims?

Can I just have a set of 4 205/45/17's put on that are not run flat?

What seems to be the owners favourite choice in this size?

·
Registered
460 Posts
yes you can run non run-flats without an issue, if your swapping to normal tyres you must swap all 4 at once, as for choice many people on here run goodyear eagle f1 gds3's, toyo proxes tr1's and yoko prada spec2's theres a lot ot chose from, i run eagle f1 gsd3's

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Tried holding the button by the handbrake down but it didnt turn the light out, is this the recommended way to do a reset?
  1. Ignition key in position 2
  2. Press the button long enough for the yellow indicator lamp in the instrument cluster to light up for a few seconds
  3. Start the engine.
After a few minutes driving time, the Flat Tire Monitor sets the current inflation pressure in the tires as the target values to be monitored.

How do I know if I have runflat tyres? and ditto to rims?
OEM runflat tires will have 'RSC' displayed in a 20 mm circle on the sidewalls. OEM wheels on NOT runflat specific.

Can I just have a set of 4 205/45/17's put on that are not run flat?

What seems to be the owners favourite choice in this size?
You can switch to conventional tires, but you'll have carry a compressor and sealant or plugs to deal with flat tires.

You can check the Tire Statistics to see what tires and sizes other members are running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts