MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm just about to switch my 16" rims for 17". Do I go for run flats or regular tires? I have an S so I'm worried about not having a spare. Is the ride really as hard as folk say using run flats on 17" rims? Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
SD_David said:
Hi, I'm just about to switch my 16" rims for 17". Do I go for run flats or regular tires? I have an S so I'm worried about not having a spare. Is the ride really as hard as folk say using run flats on 17" rims? Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
Hi,

My S will soon be delivered - but I test drove an S with 17" S wheels and runflat tires. After reading all the opinions on here I was concerned that the ride quality would be really hard too. However, after and during the test drive I thought it was great!! Its a relatively high performance car - you shouldn't be expecting a nice sloppy wet sponge.

Personally, I would prefer the peace of mind of having runflats and enjoy the rigid ride quality.

Cheers,
dhm

·
Back to the Fold
919 Posts
Welcome to mini2

and welcome to the obsession that is MINI... I have just replaced my runflats for non runflats and trust me the change is incredible. I agree regarding the wet sponge comment however to have a harsh ride and not handle as it is well capable of is not a good compromise. changing to standard 17 inch tires you have much better grip, turn in, and confidence to really drive the car as it ought to be driven, further more the ride gets better and they are cheaper :D :D

only downside is you have to buy a can of tireweld and a small compressor but that's it.

hope it helps

wylie

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
i changed my front r/f for standard tyres. these are on 16s. the change is good. i will replace the rears once they are worn enough to justify the cost.

i would say you should DEFINITELY buy normal tyres. think you will appreciate the better ride, better steering feel and reponse and improved wet weather grip.

yrs
t_t

·
Mini2 saved my life
412 Posts
I got my MCS a month ago and have no experience of non runflats, but in my opinon my car rides brilliantly, sure it's a firm ride, but beautifully damped so I never feel like i'm going to lose my teeth!!
fan-bloomin-tastic car all round!! (actually there are some square bits :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
79 Posts
Non RF's feel better ...

Just had 4 Federal ( 205 50 16 )tyres fitted to replace stock 195 RF's and the steering and road sensation are definitley improved. But that could be due to the larger tyres of course.

The ride is also less choppy than with RF's - I would make the change again, but am also looking to invest in a space saver spare for that added piece of mind, when as sods law will have , you rip a tyre wide open and its 2 am and raining / snowing !! :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. A few follow-on questions:

- What do folk think about Konig rims?

- Final answer to the debate someone: can you put runflats on any RIM and have them work ok when you get a puncture?

- what do people think of Yokohama AVS ES100 (non run flat) and Dunlop SP Sport 9000 DSST (run flat)?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Dont buy the Dunlops - see the other thread!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wylie_eyed said:
Welcome to mini2

and welcome to the obsession that is MINI... I have just replaced my runflats for non runflats and trust me the change is incredible. I agree regarding the wet sponge comment however to have a harsh ride and not handle as it is well capable of is not a good compromise. changing to standard 17 inch tires you have much better grip, turn in, and confidence to really drive the car as it ought to be driven, further more the ride gets better and they are cheaper :D :D

only downside is you have to buy a can of tireweld and a small compressor but that's it.

hope it helps

wylie
Thanks for the reply wylie. When you say "small compressor" what do you mean? I thought there was a type of tyre weld that inflated the tire as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Juslow said:
I got my MCS a month ago and have no experience of non runflats, but in my opinon my car rides brilliantly, sure it's a firm ride, but beautifully damped so I never feel like i'm going to lose my teeth!!
fan-bloomin-tastic car all round!! (actually there are some square bits :rolleyes: )
:) And you have 17" wheels? Dunlops SP Sport 9000 DSST? Do feel like it is skittering when turning hard into corners?

·
Registered
79 Posts
mini one tyre query?

Hi,hoping someone can give me some advice!I am planning to order a mini one for next march.But i cant decide on the tyres,should i go for the standard 15" which comes as an option with the pepper pack?Or should i go for the 16" 195/55 run flat tyres.I want the car to handle well on the road,but dont want too much of a bumpy road.would really appreciate some help.Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
amandachannon said:
Hi,hoping someone can give me some advice!I am planning to order a mini one for next march.But i cant decide on the tyres,should i go for the standard 15" which comes as an option with the pepper pack?Or should i go for the 16" 195/55 run flat tyres.I want the car to handle well on the road,but dont want too much of a bumpy road.would really appreciate some help.Thanks
I have RF's on my 16's and the ride is harsh. When mine went in for a service had a cooper courtesy car with non RF's on 15's and the ride was very noticably different. Much more comfortable and definitely quieter. I am shortly going up to 17's and will most definitely be running on non RF's.

If you are not too bothered by the look of the wheel then go for the 15's without a doubt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts