MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

I have Mini Clubman S 2016 with original Bridgestone 225/35/R19 runflat tyres.

Yesterday I had front left completely flat. I managed to drive up to the first garage, but was unlucky finding the same size runflats. In the end looking around the city I found Pirelli, same size.
I will change either 2 of the fronts or all 4, depending on hows the condition of the rest of the tyres as they are used since 2016 (any advice on that, after how long they should be replaced?).

One of my questions is whether to go for runflat again? This is the first time I have a situation that any of the tyre needs replacement. The only concern is the price - 470$ per tyre and also what I read today that runflats may cause a crack in the rim if hitting a pothole.

Now, I like the fact that I can drive up to a garage with a flat tyre especially that there is no spare in Mini and I don't wish to deal with fixing kit, even though I replaced tyres myself so many times on my previous cars.

In case of going for normal tyres, would they fit on the same rim? I went to check a place, they have Hankook same size but normal tyres - 140$ per tyre.

Any suggestions or opinions?

Best

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not sure why the tyres are so expensive where you are, but I think you should get a few more prices.

225/35 R19 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flat Price Comparison - Tyre Reviews

Are you sure it's $470 per tyre?

Even with current exchange rates £ to $ doesn't explain the cost is so much higher.

Run flats and non run flats tyres are usually down personal preferences, if you can carry a spare or are willing to use tyre repair kit then non run flats will be a bit cheaper to buy and feel and handle better.

Run flats are good if you don't want to carry a spare tyre or mess around with repair kits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure why the tyres are so expensive where you are, but I think you should get a few more prices.

Are you sure it's $470 per tyre?

Even with current exchange rates £ to $ doesn't explain the cost is so much higher.

Run flats and non run flats tyres are usually down personal preferences, if you can carry a spare or are willing to use tyre repair kit then non run flats will be a bit cheaper to buy and feel and handle better.

Run flats are good if you don't want to carry a spare tyre or mess around with repair kits.
Thanks for the reply.

I am in Qatar, so they build the prices up.

I would like to be able get few more prices, but this is the only place I could find my size. I looked all over the city and everyone is out of stock. If this was not my only car I would have ordered it online cheaper and wait for it. But it's my only car and I need it daily.

I like the concept of run flat and didn't experience any negative performance on the road. I do feel every change in the texture of the road but I always thought it is just low profile tyre whether it's normal or run flat.

My friend who has BMW Z4 also paid his tyres 410$ so I think it is general price for run flats here.

I just hope it keeps up to this timeframe of 3 years, not to have to change it more often than this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts