MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sleeky Silver
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My current wheels are wrapped with Run flat tyres,

now all is good and well but what im wondering is..........

do runflats decrease performance ? speed Handling etc ?

if so are normal tyres better ?

and what are the ones to go for ?

orrrrrr are runflats the ones to keep ?

look forward to your replies !!

cheers

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
I went for non-runflats and what a difference to the ride and handling. Couldn't believe the difference when i went back to my S Spokes with runflats in the wet, felt like there was no grip at all.

But make sure you carry a tin a puncture repair with the non runflat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hiya, definitely do a search on the forums on run flats vs conventionals there are like a million threads!!

I just switched from run flats to conventionals last week and despite the whole hoo-ha about "oh you'll get a puncture / there's no spare what will you do?!" the drive is soooo much nicer, going over bumps doesn't feel like you're driving through a crater! I got the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 215/45/17 and a few people on here have recommended but do some research on tyres and their performance and whether you'd prefer better performance over the security of run flats. I haven't had a problem with the tyre sensors if you're worried about that too. If you do switch make sure you tell your insurance company as your premium may go up a little.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hiya, definitely do a search on the forums on run flats vs conventionals there are like a million threads!!

I just switched from run flats to conventionals last week and despite the whole hoo-ha about "oh you'll get a puncture / there's no spare what will you do?!" the drive is soooo much nicer, going over bumps doesn't feel like you're driving through a crater! I got the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 215/45/17 and a few people on here have recommended but do some research on tyres and their performance and whether you'd prefer better performance over the security of run flats. I haven't had a problem with the tyre sensors if you're worried about that too. If you do switch make sure you tell your insurance company as your premium may go up a little.

Good luck! :)
I would agree 100% with that, I used the same tyres on my R53 MCS and they were so much better. My insurance company (Esure) charged me an extra 10% because of the different tyre size but still worth it especialy as they were cheaper than runflats

1 - 5 of 5 Posts