MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bugaboo Racer
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm after some opinions.

I picked up my new MCS last week. Wheels are the 17" s-spokes and are fitted with the Dunlop SP runflats.

My immediate thoughts over the first 200 miles are that the car feels bit skittish, but then I put that down to the power difference in going from MC to MCS and the fact that tyres usually take a bit of bedding in.

My MCS went back to the dealer today to have a few rattles fixed and they've given me a loan MCS - 1000 miles, 17" s-spokes but fitted with the Pirelli Euphoria runflats.

The car feels totally different. For a start the ride feels slightly softer (but not in a bad way). Handling wise it feels much grippier, sharper to turn in and less tail happy (very noticeable given that I stilll haven't truly booted my own car)

I'm interested to know what tyres you guys have fitted as standard on s-spokes, and whether you have any experiences of comparisons.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
I have had Both Pirellis on my Cooper 17's and now Dunlops on the 17's on my S. I personally prefer the Dunlops and find them better in the wet, could just be personal preference though.

·
220 of your finest horses
3,009 Posts
Runflats, crumbflats!

I had Goodyears on my Cooper (16" Stars), and after a spin (720 degrees) on the Ring and some 25 thousand miles I felt it was time for a change. The Goodyear RFs were just too hard a compound for "press on driving", but at a profile of 55, they were acceptable in terms of comfort.
I switched over to Dunlop RFs and found the levels of grip on both road and track to be improved, less understeer, more lateral control and a reasonable level of comfort.

Upgraded from my Cooper to Cooper S on 17" S lights and Pirelli RFs. Hate it. Autocar reckoned that the Pirelli RFs were the worst of the bunch. I agree.

I am very hopeful that Santa will bring me some better rubber soon :D

S:yeblack:

·
Riding on JCW power!
367 Posts
i'm currently on S spokes with Dunlop RF's...................I agree the ride is skittish and hard but levels of grip are excellant................however, they tramline all over the place and its getting on my nerves...........I'm going for a switch over the x-lites and Dunlop RF's very soon :D no experience of other 17" tyres but most agree that the Dunlop's are the best of the bunch

·
Registered
73 Posts
I sold the S-spokes with the Pirelli [email protected] and bought aftermarket really lightweight 16' rims with normal tires sized 205/50/16. This is the real MCS drive I was looking for. Superb handling and grip in corners.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Have a look at the threads about how long the JCW Dunlop Runflats have lasted - or not as the case may be.

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
I prefer the Dunlops. Far better wet performance and they have a sexy tread pattern :cool: :cool:

True test that the Dunlops perform better then Pirellis is when you go on MINI runs ;)
A Dunlop shod car will out corner and put the power down better then a Pirelli shod car :D :D :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Dunlops are WAY better. On my second set (got ‘em cheap) ;)

As for 17's /Dunlops & or Pirellis and trammeling... Its not 17" wheels or tires that are to blame per se.

The 17 S-lites are HEAVY 27lbs and runflat sidewalls are STIFF. Drive that combination into a rut or grooved surface on the road & no wonder it wants to trammel. Gyroscopic effect.

Note: the Dunlops only weigh 21 lbs. - respectable even in non-runflat terms, Pirellis are 24 lbs.

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
i agree dunlops are much better but beware. there are hidden costs with them, the are directional and hence you can only rotate the tires front to back. Whereas the Pirellis are non directional i.e. dont have a tread pattern that can only be run forwards. In theory the Pirellis can be fully rotated corner to corner to maximise wear and tear. However ive gotta say that the Dunlops are a much more superior tire than the the pirellis, in grip sense and handling.

·
total MINI . com
34,893 Posts
I foolishly put Pirellis on the front of my Cooper - man they stink. Doesn't need to be wet, just damp and I'm slipping all over - big mistake but too damned expensive to just throw away and start over :mad:

·
Bugaboo Racer
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers to everyone for your views. Since getting my own car back I think I now agree that the Dunlops are better. That said, they don't half seem stiff - you can tell there's a cracking ride in there somewhere spoiled by concrete sidewalls. Part of my daily commute takes me along a couple of miles of very rough road alongside Liverpool docks and I reckon my poor MCS will have shaken itself to bits by this time next year.

Hey ho, suppose I'll just have to crank up the Harman/Kardon to mask the squeaks - or do the sensible thing and bin the RFs.

Ta again folks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts