MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAS ANYONE CHANGED THE RUNNING DAYLIGHTS (YELLOISH COLORED) TO xenon LIGHT BULBS?? COULD IT BE DONE??
PLEASE .. LET ME KNOW ... I HATE THE YELLOW LOOK OF THE DAY LIGHTS... :green:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am not an authority or anything, but I think you would have to change the socket in order to handle the Xenon lamp. I could be wrong, but I am sure someone with more knowledge than me will pipe up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
Are the running lights you're talking about the side lights (next to the indicator)?
I think he's talking about the daytime running lamps, which is like the highbeams, I think.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Since the DRL's are actually the high beams at a reduced intensity, I doubt that you'll be able to come up with a lamp that is actually white at the reduced wattage. Xenon is definately a no-no for several reasons. Xenons use a ballast (transformer) to bump the voltage way beyond 12 volts. Additionally, they start-up at an even higher voltage then reduce down somewhat. At a reduced intensity, I bet that they'd extinguish themselves.

Xenons use an electric arc as a light source (Voltage drops, no more arc). Halogens and conventional lamps use a glowing filament as a light source so they can be regulated down. Look at light dimmers at the hardware store (for your home) and you'll see on the package that they are not intended for flourescent lamps...A little different, but the same principle applies.

Sorry to offer up bad news.

Rawhyde

PS If you were willing to disassemble the lamp and risk destroying an expensive part, you might be able to get the effect you want by using high intensity white LEDs. It'd be a GIGANTIC high stakes gamble though...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS AVERY1 THAT HAS POSTED SOMETHING HERE... i WILL GET IN TOUCH WITH, THE GUY THAT SAID HE HAD DONE IT....
THANKS SO VERY, MUCH...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts