MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a big problem,--- but I noticed an orange drip of water when I opened the boot recently and after checking,the R/H boot strut is quite def. corroding with noticable rust at the gas strut seams.
May be one to look out for ( haven't checked the bonnet struts yet).
Dr Mike

·
Registered
577 Posts
Those struts are oil-filled with either a spring or nitrogen charging. If you see rust, it means you have a leak somewhere. Others have reported leaks from the antenna mount and water is known to "puddle" in places under the hood and get stagnant and stinky. In your case, there may be a poor fit between the rubber boot gasket and body. You should get that checked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another case Mr.bill of incorrect advice because
you have not seen a Mini yet in the flesh..

The tailgate struts are located OUTSIDE the area
sealed by the rubber seal. In otherwords they are
design to be located in the cavity between the boot lid
and the car body. Becuase of this they SHOULD be designed to be made corrosion resitant

·
Registered
350 Posts
Dr Mike, can you post a picture of the rusting area?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a dig camera yet but I'll try and get a friend to take a pic.
This is not a big issue but it is rusting.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks, space_cadet for the correction. I have never seen a hatchback that had the stuts outside the rubber gasket. (My 31-year-old 240Z has an original single strut that still works.) Locating it where it can get wet and dirty is stupid. That's asking for premature rust and strut failure. What were they thinking??? They should have covered it with an accordion boot at the very least.

·
Registered
546 Posts
mr.bill said:
What were they thinking???
Let's face it, they're a bunch of amateurs with no idea of how to design an automobile.

I'm rejecting my car tomorrow on the grounds that the contract was misrepresented by the vendor: I thought I was buying a product from the most successful motor manufacturer in Europe.

It's only thanks to MINI2 that I've come to realise that the design was actually bodged together under some railway arches by Mr H Robinson with occasional assistance from a small hand-picked group of girl guides.

D

·
0 Posts
mike58 said:
I don't have a dig camera yet but I'll try and get a friend to take a pic.
This is not a big issue but it is rusting.
mike58

Have you got any further with this, as I noticed last night that I had little rings of orange rust around the bottoms of my struts too... Car's going into HB on Tuesday so it joins the list of issues... :(

- creaking drivers door
- discoloured coolant
- rattling hatch lock mechanism
- rusting struts

Ironically I had been quite impressed thus far, but all these issues arose in the past week or two (2,000 miles on the clock after almost 3 months...).

DBK.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I got new struts fitted under warranty.
But I,m also getting a new car free as well, after 17,000 miles. It's here and looks grear I'll pick it up in March.
Nice one Mini

Mike

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
mr.bill said:
Thanks, space_cadet for the correction. I have never seen a hatchback that had the stuts outside the rubber gasket. (My 31-year-old 240Z has an original single strut that still works.) Locating it where it can get wet and dirty is stupid. That's asking for premature rust and strut failure. What were they thinking??? They should have covered it with an accordion boot at the very least.
mr.bill-

Actually, many SUVs have their struts outside the weather seal. My ML-320 was like that, and had no rusting in the 39 months I had it. The Jetta I had before that had it's trunk struts outside the seal, too. No rust on the strut cartridge either.

Mike58 -

I think you simply have a bad gas strut, and the dealer shouldn't have any problems replacing it under warranty. Twenty minute job, tops. If you live far away from your dealer, just make sure they have the part first.

Chip H.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I noticed rust stains on my boot struts aprox'6 months ago -gave them a blast of silicone spray and they have been nice and clean ever since.
RAYASP.

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
i've noticed these too but i've also just realised it's all too easy not to have the boot fully closed & not realise. Make sure you're not doing this

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Mine have now gone rusty :(
My dealer will be replacing them along with my rusty wheel bolts :rolleyes:
Worse still though is I think my bonnet is rusting :eek:
There's a rust mark in the middle of my bonnet and it's not a surface mark as it's totally imbedded in the paintwork :(
Please note that I have had an accident and had work done on my bonnet so I'm putting this down to a bodged job rather then a fault :rolleyes:

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Ooooo look, 10 months and one new MCS later I've got the same problem again :rolleyes:

Darn rusty struts :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts