MINI Cooper Forum banner

301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
Lord of The Four Rings
11,003 Posts
Sweet memories Ruthie :)

For those who probably don't know about the picnic which we held last year in the Lake District and which sadly got cancelled this year due to inclemental weather this is the background:

When Ruthie came to the UK on the last of her visits I was lucky to be able to play host to her. She came up to the North with Jon (minicabrio) who is also in the pic and we went to a quiet spot on the Wrynose Pass to send a little plastic duck on its way in memory of Ed Smith, another M2'er who had passed away earlier. Ed used to give away plastic ducks at many MINI events he went to especially to kids.

The pics are from that day - there are a few others too as the duck got stuck in the stream and had to be resuced by Jon :p.

Anyway, that same spot has become a bit like a memorial now because we visited it last year when I organised the Family Picnic to send some ducks again, this time in memory of both Ruthie and Ed. It seemed to be the perfect place to do it.

One of those ducks was placed in a wall there by Derek J and I believe it's still there.

Last year Jim Skater (another M2'er from California) came to the North and we went to this spot again where he released a duck too. I'll post photies of that again as they're on another pc.

I am planning to organise a family picnic in the Lakes again next summer - the theme and place were chosen because Ruthie (and Ed) loved children and the whole idea behind the picnic was that it was a day in beautiful surroundings and a chance for friends and family to relax.

Enjoy the photies and if anyone else has any from the picnic last year this would be a great place to post them again in memory of a great person.

Attachments

·
what happened to that boy
1,626 Posts
I haven't been here for a long long time, but this is the first I've heard about Ruthie's passing. I had some great banter on the forums with her and am pretty shocked when I discovered this thread. Not sure what else to say really :(

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
Indeed Bill ... I miss her too! Have spent a fair bit of time this fall thinking about her strength when I needed to make some tough decisions and sort through stuff ... wish she were here still for chats on the phone. Miss her to bits!

xx dakini

·
QQJ's Social Secretary
9,458 Posts
Miss you here, too, Ruthie! Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for good friends- all we have now, and all those we've known before who made us the people we are now.

I'll make a pie for you, hun. :)

301 - 317 of 317 Posts
About this Discussion
316 Replies
189 Participants
Cooper i Do
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing