MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gutter Princess
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if aggressive lorry drivers, selfish road users, bad pavements etc weren't bad enough... not to mention my occasional lapses of attention while parking ( :eek: :eek: ) .... but some roads are so badly rutted and potholed that they are an even worse evil when it comes to wrecking your alloys... does anyone else think so too?

When I'm driving I try really hard to avoid bumps, ramps, holes, manholes, drains etc but sometimes you just can't help it... and yesterday I hit a bad one and have damaged another wheel... Damn it makes me mad!! :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Intrepid said:
As if aggressive lorry drivers, selfish road users, bad pavements etc weren't bad enough... not to mention my occasional lapses of attention while parking ( :eek: :eek: ) .... but some roads are so badly rutted and potholed that they are an even worse evil when it comes to wrecking your alloys... does anyone else think so too?

When I'm driving I try really hard to avoid bumps, ramps, holes, manholes, drains etc but sometimes you just can't help it... and yesterday I hit a bad one and have damaged another wheel... Damn it makes me mad!! :mad: :mad:
Get lots of photo's of the hole and your alloy, and send the bill for replacing the wheel to the local council.

It happens alot, and they often have to pay out....

·
totally sure!
25,310 Posts
Oh I so agree!!!

How many roads are just not Mini friendly? We can't ignore the speed bumps that are just so not MF its not true but what about them holes?!! If I drive hubbys car (Very rarely!!) I feel nothing at all when finding bumps and holes but in Minnie its a nightmare.

Use Mini drivers should be asked to be on the "road" committees I think so we can air our voices!

·
Back in a first gen.
1,386 Posts
One MINI2 member did prove to the council that their roads were'nt inspected when they said they were after an incident in a potholed road, by showing them a weather report from the Met Office.
I can't find the link, but if any of your wheels get damaged on a poor surfaced road, complain and demand repairs. :)

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
Oh heck.. sorry to here this :(

Roads around here are pretty awful too. People must think I'm nutter as I try and weave my way around all the pot holes :(

·
Clio 197 R27
2,235 Posts
Intrepid said:

I can usually be found swerving round every bump and hole in the road!! Im sure at times people think I must be drunk when im driving :rolleyes:

Its disgraceful how bad the roads are, I often take a longer route home just to avoid roads which are particularly bad... as you mention it just knackers your alloys and probably doesnt do the suspension a lot of good either. When you consider how much everyone pays in road tax the condition of the roads are terrible, quite often i think they only repair holes in the road after there have been numerous complaints to the council for damage to peoples cars.

A friend of mine hit a pothole with a Polo GTI which had BBS Split rim wheels, which caused the rim to come away from the wheel and he put a claim in to the council, who eventually paid out for the damage, so its definately worth pursuing them!... good luck!

·
Registered
700 Posts
It's true. Here in VA if you strike a pothole and it damages your car, the local government entity may reimburse you for related repairs, in some cases.

Here, if the City had previous knowledge of the problem (pothole, etc.) and didn't repair it in a "reasonable" time, they will pay for your repairs. I wouldn't doubt if it's similar in the UK, since our legal system is not dissimilar to yours.

If you get damage from road problems, call the local Police and file a report with the local government's safety officer or Public Works Dept.

It's certainly worth the effort to do so.

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
4,001 Posts
Raify said:
Get lots of photo's of the hole and your alloy, and send the bill for replacing the wheel to the local council.

It happens alot, and they often have to pay out....
Ditto

1 - 11 of 11 Posts