MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer stated that the S will be about 5/8" taller than the Cooper due to the 16/17" wheels. With paul's side by side you can actually see it too.

I wonder if you order the Cooper with 16's if it is taller too? Do they have to give you a special speedometer gear at the factory for this:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. so I went to my handy dandy spreadsheet and determined the difference between a 175/65/15 and a 205/45/17. The speedometer will actually read 59.24 when you are actually going 60. Pretty close. The 195/55/16 is actually a little worse. 58.8 when doing 60. Speeding ticket excuse!!

So where is the 5/8" coming from? the 17" tires (tyres) are only 2.4mm (0.1") bigger in diameter. Is the sport suspension raising the car a 1/2". Too bad if so. I tought it would go the other way.:(

·
Registered
374 Posts
So where is the 5/8" coming from?
I don't know. The Mini USA site gives the difference as 0.3" I believe it's purely down to the larger diameter of the 195/55 16 tyres.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
GoMiniGo said:
My dealer stated that the S will be about 5/8" taller than the Cooper due to the 16/17" wheels.
Well, you're dealer is half right ;)

Everything I've seen ... MINI USA website, brochure from LA Auto Show, email from Tech Man at MINI USA saying ground clearance of Cooper with Sport Suspension was 4.5" and 'S' with Sport Suspension Plus was 4.8" ... indicates that the 'S' is 0.3" taller than the Cooper. The difference in overall diameters between 195/55-16 (24.44") and 175/65-15 (23.96") tires is 0.48", only half of which effects ride height. I'm assuming they rounded the 0.24" up to 0.3". The height with 205/45-17 tires is 0.09" less.

The 'S' is taller, but only about 5/32" to 1/4".

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hmmmm according to the S Brochure.......

Height Cooper 1416mm
Height Cooper S 1416mm

:confused:

Width at the back is the same to only real difference is the length......

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ther is no way an S should be taller than a Cooper if it is to handle better.
MINIAC's figures are spot on, may I suggest the following : (Metric 1"=25.4mm)
Cooper 175/65/15 Diameter=608.5mm
Chilli Cpr or S 195/55/16 620.9mm
So fit 195/50/ 16s 601.4mm

This diameter is within 3% of Cooper spec and therefore legal, will reduce ride height from S spec by 9.75mm which is a significant lowering and will improve acceleration.

The stiffer sidewall is still softer than a 45 profile and the tyre size is popular and relatively cheap, there is also a wide choice, so fans of a soft tyre eg, Yokohama can choose grip over lifespan instead of paying a premium for the dubious privelige of a run flat tyre.
I am sick of manufacturers putting crap tyres on a car to improve noise or economy when the raison d'etre of a Cooper or esp. an S is handling.
There are other threads on this on Tuning forum.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The "proof"

Just wanted to make a note that the reason why the so called proof in this subject - I.E Pauls pictures - is an optical illution.

If you take a look at other the pictures [from other angles] - you will notice that the 'S' is actually close to the camera than the Cooper and thus appear to be taller..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts