MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for used JCW. I found one that is desirable, but when pulled out dipstick, oil level did not registed :eek: Car has very low miles, only one oil change (11k since last) and computer says the next change not due to for 4k (15k interval). Three potential reasons: 1. technician did not fill completely last change, 2. car is moderate oil burner (tail pipe is normal), 3. dipstick not right height. I personally discount 1 & 3. So question is how bad is oil consumption and is engine damaged (slightly or looming major). Car sounds and runs fine, feels strong to me and oil idiot light goes out immediately upon starting. Gut feel tells me to walk away and seek other car, but otherwise , this is a nice car. Owner just not hands on. I could tell him to get oil changed and have dealer do compression / leak test and put oil pressure gauge on it. My intent is 2-3 year owner ship. Car has a little more time on warranty.

Any feedback on oil consumption and volume of oil in sump if not registering on dipstick appreciated as well as other comments.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
The Cooper S's can use a little bit of oil, this is normal :)

I'm a 'hands on' owner and do a weekly check when I wash the car - requires usually a slight top up every couple of months - but only tiny.

There shouldn't be any lasting damage to the engine in this case, but no harm in having it checked before you buy :)

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
Forgive me, for I have sinned. Many,many times I've been lax in checking my oil levels, and on several occasions (when I have got around to it) the oil level on the dipstick has been below the minimum (or not registering at all). By rights, my engine should be shot by now. But with 120,000 on the clock, it still sounds and feels fine to me; if there's any "lon term damage" it hasn't shown yet, and I recall that perceived wisdom in the past said that other integral items (like the supercharger) were only good for 100,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i'd walk away, theres plenty more fish in the sea. If its not got any oil in it what else have'nt they check. When buying at that age and witht eh amount of those around i would move on to a better looked after example

1 - 4 of 4 Posts