MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got myself a set of new S-Spoke's on runflats tonight, Picked up @ 6.00pm, I had them on the car by 7.00pm (in the dark). Just been out for a drive all I can say is WOW what a difference I am sooooooo happy :D :D :D :D :D . My mini's now on rails.
After reading about 17's and runflats was exspecting a bumpier ride but it felt ok to me..... theres an old saying... No Sence No Feeling... :p

Did I mention I was Happy.......... :D :p :D

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
My 17 inch S-Spokes with the runflat tyres have never given me any problems over the 10,000 miles I've done in a year, even at very high speeds (Thats MINI runs for ya!), and definitely look much cooler than all the other alloys on offer.

Happy, stylish motoring!

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
15 to 17 (or even 18") wheels

I've been interested in upgrading my 15" wheels on the Cooper (Standard sports suspension) for a while. I would only change them if the handling was even better than with the standard wheels and the ride wasn't noticeably worse.

What would you recommend?

Tigger.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Tigger don't go for 18" if you like the ride of your 15" as the amount of tyre between the wheel and the road is very different and will be much less therefore will be much harsher. Got told by my tyre fitter to go for 205/45 not 215/40 because there was more rubber beween my wheel and the road. I went from 15" to 17" (non runflats) and there isn't much differnce in the ride quality. The steering is slightly different as there is a wider tyre and it picks up on the bumps of the road more so it likes to tramline on really uneven roads. Not alot but enough to notice a my last wheels didn't at all. I would go for it because they look 10 times better than they alter the driving quality!

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
I love MINI said:
Tigger don't go for 18" if you like the ride of your 15" as the amount of tyre between the wheel and the road is very different and will be much less therefore will be much harsher. Got told by my tyre fitter to go for 205/45 not 215/40 because there was more rubber beween my wheel and the road. I went from 15" to 17" (non runflats) and there isn't much differnce in the ride quality. The steering is slightly different as there is a wider tyre and it picks up on the bumps of the road more so it likes to tramline on really uneven roads. Not alot but enough to notice a my last wheels didn't at all. I would go for it because they look 10 times better than they alter the driving quality!
Thanks for your help on this.

The conclusion seems to be to go as far as 17" wheels to maintain ride, but only for the looks and not necessarily for any handling improvement then?

Tigger.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paul I'm still trying to convince the wife about mini runs but she's not keen :( . I shall have to work on her some more.. :) .
Saw you couple weeks ago going through bedminster on a Saturday your plate gave you away.... you didnt wave though... ;)

Mark.

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
bigtent said:
Paul I'm still trying to convince the wife about mini runs but she's not keen :( . I shall have to work on her some more.. :) .
Saw you couple weeks ago going through bedminster on a Saturday your plate gave you away.... you didnt wave though... ;)

Mark.
I didnt? Thats very unlike me! Make sure you flash and wake me up.

Tell her this one is a 10 pin bowling night (which it is) just with an extended route to get there ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts