MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having seen Paul's side by side comparison shots, it is a pity that the car can't be specified without the larger spoiler - messes with the roof line to my eye. A bit similar to the spoiler on the Audi TT messing with its original lines.

I wonder if at some stage it will be possible to buy something which looks like a Cooper but goes like an S? Would not have the design cues of a performance car for those who want them, but might broaden the appeal of the S in the market.

Probably a polarising thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
madmancooper said:
hi! where did you see those side by side shots! i'd be quite interested to see them! cheers
On the MINI2.com home page buddy. Refresh your page when you get there and follow the link.



:)
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Mr T said:
....I wonder if at some stage it will be possible to buy something which looks like a Cooper but goes like an S? Would not have the design cues of a performance car for those who want them, but might broaden the appeal of the S in the market.

Probably a polarising thought.
I like the idea. A stealthy Q-car would be fun. Kind of hard to hide that front bonnet scoop though. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: S vs Cooper - design

BruceK said:


I like the idea. A stealthy Q-car would be fun. Kind of hard to hide that front bonnet scoop though. :)
Bruce,

Didn't you say early on in the piece that the bonnet scoop was not entirely required for air to the intercooler ?

If so, it may be possible to get rid of the slot altogether. Still need the hump of course.

Maybe i'm thinking of the wide air intake under the bumper. I know it's not full width from those lightened pictures of yours.

:)
 

·
Bring the noise
Joined
·
2,441 Posts
Persoanlly from the pics I have seen of the S, the Cooper is a much more harmonised design. The rear spoiler looks way too big, the chili spoiler is ok, but the spoiler upsets the clean lines around the back.
The lack of chrome is a shame. The car appears to have lost it's jewellery, and the aluminium looks dreadfull !
The features that distinguish the S from the Cooper, fuel cap aside detract rather than enhance it's appearnce. It's cool to have differences but I think they have changed purely as to make visual differences not improvements.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had an S on order since middle of 2001, but cancelled it when I saw S pictures late last year. I'm now the happy (although the pull needs sorting) owner of a Cooper.

I could live with the bulgy bonnet and slot if I had to, but nix the rest in my opinion.
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
smartbomb said:
Persoanlly from the pics I have seen of the S, the Cooper is a much more harmonised design. The rear spoiler looks way too big, the chili spoiler is ok, but the spoiler upsets the clean lines around the back.
The lack of chrome is a shame. The car appears to have lost it's jewellery, and the aluminium looks dreadfull !
The features that distinguish the S from the Cooper, fuel cap aside detract rather than enhance it's appearnce. It's cool to have differences but I think they have changed purely as to make visual differences not improvements.
I agree with you. It's clear to me that when the MINI was designed, it was the standard Cooper spec that was envisioned as what the car would be.

The One, in it's most basic form, is a Cooper minus some things.

The S, as much as I like it, is really just a Cooper with things tacked on. (Some of them like the supercharger I'm all for, but the rear spoiler and other things are tacky)
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Re: Re: Re: S vs Cooper - design

Basil said:


Bruce,

Didn't you say early on in the piece that the bonnet scoop was not entirely required for air to the intercooler ?

If so, it may be possible to get rid of the slot altogether. Still need the hump of course.

Maybe i'm thinking of the wide air intake under the bumper. I know it's not full width from those lightened pictures of yours.

:)
It wasn't me. As far as I can tell, there is no other way to feed air to the intercooler. I did say the about 1/3 of the lower grill on the Cooper S is fake (blocked off), but that's all I know about grills.
 

·
...where´s the any-key?
Joined
·
23,182 Posts
I happen to think BMW have got it right with both the Cooper and the S. I love the look of my Cooper it looks especially cool with the S Spoke wheels. But I want the added touches that come with the S it just gives it a bit of individuality.



Looks lovely;)

LMB :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
S chargecooler location?

Didn't all the classic minis have a side-saddle radiator mounted on the left side on the engine rather than in the front? Why couldn't the S cooler have been fitted in the left above the transmission drawing air from the left fender (wing)?

There sure have been a bunch of potential S owners whinging about the rear spoiler here. My plan is simply to remove it and trade it even up to a Chili Cooper owner who fancies himself a boy racer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
IMHO, the Cooper S would look good with the chrome reintstated on the front and rear. The side indicators in chrome look good, as does the twin exhaust.

But, I am a bit worried about the aluminium dash that is actually, from what I remember reading, plastic.

The colours are great especially the dark silver.

The test will be seeing one in real life.
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
karmuze said:
S chargecooler location?

Didn't all the classic minis have a side-saddle radiator mounted on the left side on the engine rather than in the front? .....
Er...sort of. Classic Minis built from 1959 to 1996 had the side mounted radiator through which air was pushed into the LF wheel well. In hindsight, not the best way to do things, but the logical result of limited space and the fact the electric radiator fan had not being invented in 1959, so a conventional belt-driven fan stuck on the end on the water pump did the trick. Beginning in 1997, and through the final Minis in 2000, a crank fired ignition eliminated the need for a conventional ignition distributor, so room was made available to place the radiator behind the Mini's grill -- just in time to meet EU drive-by noise restrictions. :)

But, all that classic Mini stuff aside, I would really be surprised if there is any room at all under the hood of a MINI Cooper S to reconfigure anything:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
IMO the Cooper S looks perfect.

The lack of chrome makes it look more butch.

The S spoiler looks great and really goes with the rest of the styling.

One thing I dont like on the S that Paul saw is the grey door linings. I hope black is an option.

The bonnet scoop looks mean, as do the rear exhausts.

I personally dont like all the chrome on the Cooper. And I really dont like the Chili pack spoiler. I would rather have a MINI One.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I asked BMW about removing the S spoiler altogether or replacing it with a Chili pack spoiler, and they say it has been included for safety reasons - apparently it generates downforce, which I found surprising.

Their line was that removing it might void your warranty, require you to insure your car as modified, or potentially void your insurance. Bummer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
I would imagine the door trims can be configured in the same way as the rest of the MINI range. The faux aluminium looks a lot better when contrasted against a darker interior. Personaly I don't like it from the pictures, but will await the Demo in April to make a final judgement. If the Silver is available instead then thats what I'll get.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I didn't like the look of the door trim either, is the aluminium look just the arm rests, handles etc, or is it the entire silver panel on the door. I hated the look of it in the pics.

Does anyone know.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top