MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like Margaret & I, many of you knew and loved Diane, ever happy and willing to drive hundreds of miles to meet her friends on a MINI run ... I heard today from her husband Jim that she has passed away, after a long fight with cancer :(

I've put a tribute post of photos up on GBMINI.net; click this picture of Diane with many of her friends, to see more:

I spoke to Jim - he says there will be a Mass for family in her mothers home of Albany, NY; the school where Diane taught plans to plant 1000 bulbs as a tribute, on Friday 17th October.

·
Yo! Ol' Man!
1,966 Posts
Diane was the first person I met at the Bar Harbor Invasion before the '04 MOT. She gave me some "fun" driving tips and led our motley crew around. I have looked for her at other events and have been disapointed when she was not there because she had such enthusiasm that you could not help but be elevated by her.
Pam & I send condolences to her family :(
Diane.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Though I can recall being notified of her fight - this is nonetheless very shocking and heartbreaking news to me. She was so full of life and will always have a place in my heart.

My condolences to those who survive her.

She was especially fond of the New York City photo I have attached below.

Attachments

·
QQJ's Social Secretary
9,458 Posts
That's a wonderful photo, John. I've been looking through photos for her, have only gotten through 2004 so far.

I remember Diane leading the group on the Acadia Park drive at MOT 2004, and we pulled over to wait for Blake, who had just driven in from Georgia. :) That was a fun day's drive!

Her enthusiasm will be much missed.

·
Play On!
1,023 Posts
Oh, what a shame! I, too, have fond memories of Diane and the early MOT runs including Acadia. She was one of the people that made the early days of the MINI in New England so much fun.

My condolences to her family,

Pete

·
Resident Panpsychist
2,655 Posts
I was a very chilly spring day when Diane arrived unannounced at our house in her Miata; the top was down, of course. Diane had been visiting her family in Albany and "was in the neighborhood". She apologized for not calling ahead as she climbed out of the Miata in her down jacket, scarf, hat and gloves. I knew she was in there somewhere amidst the goose-down and wool.

Carol and I warmed her up in front of the woodstove and, with the help of liberal libations, convinced her to stay the night. We had such a happy and relaxing time with her talking about MINIs, teaching, and everything under the sun. We were truly sorry to see her go when morning came.

And now, we need to say a difficult goodbye once more....

·
Registered
485 Posts
We are sorry to hear the news. I had met her once or twice at a Mini event, but did not realize she was fighting cancer. It really hit me that we were close in age and, at the last mammogram, I passed with flying colors. Our sympathies to her family and friends.

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
What sad news. Diane was a star of the early MINI meets in NE (back when I used to go to a lot of them!). I was always amazed at how far she would travel, just to get to the *start* of an event.
Condolences to her family and friends.

·
wherever you go...
1,617 Posts
This is very sad news. Diane was an early leading spirit in New England events, showing up at MOT with name buttons for all, showing up at the Big Dig run with hats, and my favorite, freezing her butt off in spite of her ankle length raccoon coat at ice racing on Newfound Lake. She was a real gem, and we'll miss her.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
25 Participants
m2smith
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing