MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Play On!
1,023 Posts
This is very sad news. Diane was an early leading spirit in New England events, showing up at MOT with name buttons for all, showing up at the Big Dig run with hats, and my favorite, freezing her butt off in spite of her ankle length raccoon coat at ice racing on Newfound Lake. She was a real gem, and we'll miss her.
Ohmigod! I'd forgotten that. Thanks for the ice racing memory; it certainly brightened my evening. :p

·
Retired and relaxed
5,371 Posts
Diane gave the best hugs. She hung on tight and really meant it. She would also sneak up behind me and hang on:smile:
Impromptu meeting at Dysart's outside of Orrington/Bangor for lunch w/ me and Evan when we were passing through.
Sitting up until the wee hours at my house drinking wine w/ her and talking, talking, talking.
Seeing her crawling up my rear view mirror at 100+ mph on the Kanc at 5 a.m. Bet her students would be surprised!
She made great buttons too.
We were all very lucky to have her as a friend.

·
drive it like i stole it
837 Posts
this is very sad news, Audra and I have some great memories from Bar Harbor with Diane leading the way . We send our condolences to her family.

·
MINI2 Regular
442 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this, Diane was a great person and she will be missed. I have many memories that include her in the mini runs that Pat and I made in the past. As with all our other beloved mini friends she will ride forever in our hearts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What sad news to hear. What a tireless, full of energy & life of a lady.

I met Diane four years ago at LRP when she and a few others Mini owners were attending there first track event up at Lime Rock Park. My sister and I motored up to support a friend of ours -- John J Jackman(rip) and there we met Ed (Maxamini) --(rip), Trevor, Steve, Tontobird and enjoyed the day watching and cheering them on.

Good Friends, Good Times at L...

I last saw her a month later when she attended the first NYC Sunrise Run
and some people you never forget.

She is happily motoring with Ed, Jackman and a few other MINI people that
left this earth way before there time.

My condolences to her family.

Renata(Miniata)

Attachments

·
MINI2 somebody
911 Posts
Condolences to Diane's family. She was one of the first MINI enthusiasts I've met. She often motored many hours and great distances to participate in rallies in downstate NY. I fondly remember the first NYC Sunrise rally, in which she, Ed, AND Jackman were all jovially present.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Although I first heard of Diane's passing via a post on NEMINI.org, I've only just found my way over here, where I'd like to add my condolences and happy memories, as well.

I'll never forget that after multiple PMs via MINI2, that Diane and I arranged for her to come to our house in Rye so that she could ride shotgun with me on the first Sunrise Run in Manhattan... I have no idea why, but apparently Diane must have arrived either way too late or way too early...and thus when looked out the front window at about 5AM - there she was sound asleep in her MINI!;) Needless to say, we spent a fine day together zipping around The Big Apple with all our other MINI pals - some of whom Renata has so nicely posted a photo of above.

Diane's positive energy and warmth are the impressions that I will always carry in my memories. I have no doubt that she is greatly missed.

Here is a photo we took before she hopped into her beloved MINI to head back home to Maine.

Attachments

·
Retired and relaxed
5,371 Posts
Was watching F-1 last night and remembered that Diane was a major F-1 fan. She would get up at 4 a.m. if that's when it was on tv to watch it! Talk about dedication!!

·
Yo! Ol' Man!
1,966 Posts
Steve received a plaque at MOT this year that he will get to Diane's partner, Jim Trembley. He commented that it was the same Miss Briggs her students knew that hung with him doing 110 mph on the Kanc and her enthusiasm for all things was irresistible.

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

The plaque reads:
In memory of Diane Briggs
The First Lady of the Northeast MINI Community
Tireless contributor to MINIsOnTop
She will be missed, but not forgotten

I hope we have nothing for Steve to do next year

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
25 Participants
m2smith
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing