MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Now we all now speeding is wrong, stupid and potentially dangerous.....so lets assume no one here speeds........regardless of whether you do or not - -i'm not judging!

Trying to find a unbiased review on a speed camera detector is next to impossibe - the wonderful auto-express have reveiwed the pogo alert - they give it 4 stars - shockingly they also sell the product.........

I was wanting to know if any of the mini guys and gals on the forum use safety camera detectors. Being perfectly legal and road safe I was wondering which ones people have.

Now I have used the origin b2 - it is very accurate - but stupidly unreliable.......rarely makes a lock on satelites and when talking to origin (now known as POGO) that it's because my car (DOOPER 57) has athermic uv windows......hmmmmmm

I was told to upgrade to the Pogo Alert instead as it uses the Sirf Star 3 chip!

Now I' looking at the Road Angel Proffesional - It uses the Atmel GPS chip that is supposed to perform better than the Sirf Star 3 chip hence possibly better than the Pogo Alert.

Now I'm askin you mini-ites for a bit of adivce - I don't want to get a device that wont work again........

Kind regads.

Dooper

·
Registered
44 Posts
Athermic windows will cause any GPS device behind them a problem, they act like a faraday cage. Ideally you'll want something you can fit an external antenna to.

As for feedback, I've got a snooper evo but it can take a while to get a lock. That replaced an original road angel classic which died of heat exhaustion on the dashboard.

I also have the TomTom speed camera subscription which can get you a real time update on mobile sites.

I'm interested to know if anyone has tried a snooper laser star.

·
Miss Independent
791 Posts
Ive got a road angel which was very good when i first bought it, but i havent updated it in a while.

Its also good just because it makes you more aware of what speeds your going rather than just bleeping when you get close to a camera.

Reactions: dooper

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the plunge!

Got an very good offer off origin/pogo.

Have ourchased the pogo Alert -

Must say it's very very good.

·
Banned
305 Posts
This ia a great post I hope it continues as I am really interested in the best for detecting the mobile (ambush) laser cameras:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
thewalshter

Try the novus gps rider very good free camera updates every week ,based on the old talex system.Better than the road angel, have used both systems.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I was in the UK on business I bought a Snooper for my BMW hire car. It was useless as it went off when passing shops, garages, traffic lights etc...
Before buying such a device check that it doesn't do this.

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Ive got the Snooper Strabo which is also a Sat Nav as well. With free Lifetime Camera Updates. Was only £99 and had it for 6 months now, find it picks up most points as long as you update it every week online. It also alerts you to were speed traps could be , so sometimes maybe over sensitive but then again if it saves points then thats all good ;)

·
Banned
305 Posts
Sounds good will look into one of these very soon cheers;)[/QUOTE]

Ive got the Snooper Strabo which is also a Sat Nav as well. With free Lifetime Camera Updates. Was only £99 and had it for 6 months now, find it picks up most points as long as you update it every week online. It also alerts you to were speed traps could be , so sometimes maybe over sensitive but then again if it saves points then thats all good ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts