MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
.....like a Cheshire cat.
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an issue recently where the drivers door window's safety switch is activating thinking there is some sort of barrier when I try to close it.
Basically it goes all the way to the top, then drops down to 2/3.
I took the car in yesterday and the dealer thinks the tint may have something to do with it.
I am not so sure, but wonder if anyone else has had any issues.

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've not experienced that with my R56, mine's tinted too. Perhaps your tint in increasing the resistance of the glass/tint against the window seals, so much so that the sensor is thinking it's jammed up? Maybe check/clean the window rubber. :p

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, will do. The dealer lubed up the runners, but I may rub some peanut oil on the rubber seals too ( I assume this will not lead to degredation of the rubber?)

·
DON'T PANIC!
853 Posts
Not sure if this works for the R56, but on the R53 you can reset the window motor raised position by putting the window down, then raising it back up and holding the switch in the UP position for about 5 seconds.
This tells the window where it is supposed to be - might be worth a shot.
Good Luck.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I will try that.
For some reason the drivers door window does not drop down a little when I open the door, like iot does on the passenger window - not sure why. I doubt if this is related though.

·
DON'T PANIC!
853 Posts
Thanks, I will try that.
For some reason the drivers door window does not drop down a little when I open the door, like iot does on the passenger window - not sure why. I doubt if this is related though.
This sounds very much like the same problem quite a few people have had - the window "forgets" where to stop and needs to be reset.

·
DON'T PANIC!
853 Posts
Just follow the instructions that I posted above and it should fix both problems in one go!
If not, then the dealer may have to have a look at it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Happens on my R50 MINI and my 1997 BMW Z3. It's a Beamer thing???

Cooljamjar knows the fix - many of the computers have self clearing / resetting faults and the windows are no exception. By holding the up button for several seconds when the window is fully up lets the computer sort itself out hence no need for the dealership :)

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all, it appears to be fixed (for now)!
I held the switch up once the window was closed and it 'clicked' repeatedly until I let go.
Hopefully all will be well now.
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts