MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I jave just got an R53 04 Cooper S with sat nav. It has the 2004-1 disk running and I was looking to upgrade to a more newer disk.
I have seen some on eBay where it says "HOME" version and make sure you get the correct version for your car!

How do I know if it is HOME or not?? I was a bit confussed. Did tryu searching but no luck

Sorry if I sound a dunce but I not used the on board MINI nav before and its a bit new to get to grips with.

Would the 2007-2 HOME dvd be ok?? Would I need to update anything else?

Also is there a way to reset all the places etc stored on the unit?

Cheers

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
First, steer clear of E-Bay as you are probably getting a pirated copy.

As for the DVD, you need the High version. There are only two versions of map disk (high and professional) and they can be purchased at NAVTEQ: Home or BMW.

·
Caffeine Fuel'd
20 Posts
Sorry to hijack this a bit, but I have a 2004 Satnav (DVD) system, if I buy the 2008 disc from NAVTEQ, does it upgrade the system software as well as provide updated maps? or does it just give me updated maps?

I've read a few posts about the newer version of the software supporting more features like 3D view and such.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
It jsut gives you updated maps. What unit do you have? If you have an MK4 you can use the DVD but if it is an MK3 you can only use CD for maps.

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
04 should be mk3, I'm o3 with mk4

interestingly my dealer recomended looking for a download of the net as the bmw prices are a rip off

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Sorry to hijack this a bit, but I have a 2004 Satnav (DVD) system, if I buy the 2008 disc from NAVTEQ, does it upgrade the system software as well as provide updated maps? or does it just give me updated maps?

I've read a few posts about the newer version of the software supporting more features like 3D view and such.
Version 29 onwards I think will give you 3D perspective view.
Try here for a download of V31 software.

X5world - View Single Post - V31 has been released and is now available

Click on the attachment link, download and unzip. If you have Nero, it should offer to burn the image on to a CD. Mine did anyway, It's about 251 mb.

The latest version is V32 but for a Mk IV there is no difference between V31 or V32, I know this is a stable version.

Hope this helps you and others.

·
Young at heart
99 Posts
The maps and firmware are 2 different things.
The maps, obviously, are the maps, and the firmware is just the software that drives the mapping system. The biggest benefit of the more recent firmware releases is the 3d view already mentioned.

I've updated mine to the latest v31 software with no problems. I had it running on my previous BMW as well with no issues. The 3D view is SOOOOOO much better than the plain overhead one.

I've still got the original 2005-02 BMW Mini DVD Maps disc although I'm trying to 'acquire' a more recent edition.

3D view pic attached :cool:

Attachments

·
Caffeine Fuel'd
20 Posts
It jsut gives you updated maps. What unit do you have? If you have an MK4 you can use the DVD but if it is an MK3 you can only use CD for maps.
I'm pretty sure its a MK4, I remember seeing the DVD logo on the unit under the seat. I'll check soon.

So its just a case of getting the NaviationV31 and burning the .nrg file from that on a CD and putting it in the drive and wait for it to update?

Will my current 2004 maps disc work ok with the V31 software?

Thanks for the help :):)

·
Young at heart
99 Posts
Sounds about right.

Make sure you burn the CD at the slowest speed possible to try and eliminate any disc errors. For some reason, the MKIV drive are quite particular about the quality of the discs they are fed!!

Your 2004 maps should be fine.

Here's a good link showing an update from MKIII to MKIV and a firmware update. Ignore the hardware instructions and follow the software/firmware updates bit.

How to Upgrade from MKIII to MKIV Nav and update Software (with Pictures) - X5world

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Not much of a site to be honest. I started to build it up, but I have too much going on at the moment.

·
Caffeine Fuel'd
20 Posts
Cheers guys!

I updated mine at the weekend and it works great. The installation was very straight forward.

The maps look at lot more vibrant now, much more colourful and distinctive. I found the Perspective option but it doesn't seem to do anything when I turn it on, the same top down 2d view. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
I presume you activated via the hidden menu?
Now go to options while on MAP view screen and then click down to map orientation or however else it is wordder you should see the perspective option at the bottom.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Sadly no, you cannot. The MK3 was last updated about 3 years ago so continual updating won't do you any good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have just put the new update on my sat nav and no change ..
were could i get the sat nav drive that reads dvds and not cds thanks alot......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts