MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MCS R53 Red and Whitey
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it square or widescreen? are they all the same?

·
Registered
158 Posts
They are all widescreen. I expect the early ones have a CD based computer (BMW Mark3) and the later ones (from September 2003 would be my guess) have a DVD based one known in BMW circles as the mark4.

A Mk3 can be directly replaced with a mk4 - it's plug and play. The mk4 is significantly better as it is faster as well as being able to hold much larger maps on one disk. Because it's faster it can be updated to handle perspective view (with more up to date BMW software, then enabling the feature in the service setup menu) and the graphics are much smoother.

I upgraded a 2002 5 series BMW from mk3 to mk4 and when I put it back to standard to sell on I couldn't believe how rubbish the mk3 was in comparison. When I got the Mini it had a mk4 from the factory so I upgraded the software and enabled perspective and it's again much better than standard.

Note if you do change computers over that the splash screen at startup is managed by the car - the mk3 I put in my BMW was apparently from a Mini as that was the splash screen, then I updated the software and it went back to BMW. I then used that same software disk to update my Mini expecting it would also give me a BMW splash screen and it stayed Mini.

·
MCS R53 Red and Whitey
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea on cost for upgrading a mini Mk3 to Mk4?....I'm thinking it will be considerable!

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
You can find the units on Ebay or at bommernav.com and they are a direct swap. There are lots of threads on it floating around.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Any idea on cost for upgrading a mini Mk3 to Mk4?....I'm thinking it will be considerable!
I haven't kept up with it, but it used to be 350 to 400 pounds for a mk4 unit on eBay and they have probably got cheaper if anything. Most sellers will include a recent DVD Europe map as well, so it's all you need. If you want to minimise the cost you'd get 100 to 150 for your Mk3 as MG Rover people buy them for some reason (used to anyway). There used to be a guy in Lithuania who sold them all the time and he was reliable - I bought a DVB TV tuner for my 5 series from him.

As posted above bimmernav.com is a good resource for info. The Mini system is virtually identical to e38 7 series, e39 5 series, e46 3 series and first generation X3 and X5 BMW and even some RangeRover ones (note there is an older 4:3 ratio system in earlier BMWs and MG Rovers; BMW went widescreen around 2001 I think), so most of the info there is applicable. One difference I have spotted is that the Mini has one less button on the controls. I can't even remember what it was for exactly; I think it lets you switch between nav and audio information on the screen, but it only makes a difference to the Intravee interface if you add one of them, not the nav itself as the Mini doesn't use the nav screen for anything to do with the radio/CD like BMWs do.

Also the BMW system holds the time and date in the nav rather than the dash so it tells you the time it thinks you will arrive rather than how much longer it thinks the journey will take like the Mini does. Lastly the BMW trip computer is much more functional than the Mini one with a stopwatch and a couple of timers as well as the average speed and 2 fuel economy counters the Mini has, but again that's nothing to do with the nav itself.

If you get a mk4 (assuming you have a mk3 now) then it's relatively easy to update the firmware. People on bimmernav will have links to the latest version (I think I have v29, but there is possibly a later one now also). Once downloaded you need to burn it to a CDR. People claim it's fussy but I have done it several times just using Nero, cheap CDRs and a slow write speed. Of course as with any BIOS type upgrade you don't want it to go wrong and there are a few people around who claim to have killed their nav computer while updating it.

If you are looking to buy one off the 'Bay I'd look for one that is stated to be 100% working, with the latest software version and including a recent (ideally 2008) European nav DVD. You won't pay much of a premium for that over one with old firmware.

·
MCS R53 Red and Whitey
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So is this as big as the map goes? ie it stays 4:3 ratio and doesnt go 16:9?

Attachments

·
MCS R53 Red and Whitey
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for confirming, its just all the photos I had seen on Autotrader etc showed this type of display.

OK I want this option! :)

~adds to wish list~

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's a good option. The nav isn't as good as say a TomTom, but it is far from the worst I've used and it's nice that it's integrated - I hate stuff stuck to the dash / windscreen and it isn't a theft risk.

In practice you won't use 16:9 map display would be my guess, but it will do it for you if you want. The Audi system is better in that it shows full screen 16:9 and overlays the directions in semi-transparent on one side.

If you're an iPod user then I'd recommend you also get an Intravee as it's a superb iPod integration solution with nav.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'll give full screen a go then, but I think I prefer to see the street name and turn graphic rather than just the route on the map.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I set it yesterday, then literally 2 minutes later I needed to know if the street I was on was the one I wanted and the name wasn't on the map so I turned it off.

I've had this nav system for getting on 3 years now and I'm so used to the screen telling me the street name that I guess I use it a lot to help navigate even when I haven't set a destination.

Having said that I turned it back to full screen when I knew exactly where I was again and I'll leave it like that for a while. Despite having had the system for years I hadn't realised how much more the computer display has in full screen for example.

It's a shame they don't copy Audi and overlay the information panel semi transparent over the map (though when there is no destination set the Audi one doesn't show anything but map, just like the BMW one in full screen), but I guess it's unlikely there will be any major software developments now it's a system they don't supply new any more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts