MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way into work this morning, a frantically excited friend of mine called and told me that there were truckloads of Minis being unloaded less than a mile away from where I work (The Presidio in San Francisco)! Off I went with my digital camera, expecting to have to avoid security guards and shoot through chain link fencing. When I got to the warehouse location, however, I was pleasantly surprised to see over 100 Minis sitting out in the open, free to be ogled and drooled on at close range! There were roughly 85 Mini Coopers, half red with white roof and half yellow with black roof. In addition to that, there were 10-15 Cooper Ss, half dark silver and half Electric Blue, both with white tops.

First off, let me say that these cars a sooo freakin' cool in person! The interior build quality is great for a sub-20k car and is very artfully done, yet perfectly functional. I'm 5' 7" and everything was well within reach for me and laid out very ergonomically. The center console and associated switches and knobs looked very cool, although some of it felt a touch plasticy (to be expected in a car of this price). The sunroofs were very, very cool and the retractable mesh will be more than enough shielding for sunny San Francisco days. The leatherette interiors felt a bit "vinaly," but the full leather felt very nice. The Lapis Blue was very sharp, but I think I'd stick with the all-black leather if given the choice. They didn't have any cloth interiors there, unfortunately, so I didn't get to see that. I really liked the brushed look on the Ss dash, and the glove box is nicely sized and even has a couple of integrated cup holders when opened. The trunk space is very, very limited, but would be greatly expanded if the seats were folded down. I was surprised at how much room there was in the back seat area, but you still wouldn't want to put anyone taller than 5'9" back there for any lengthy period of time. The controls on the steering wheel are very nicely laid out, and I love the idea of having controls on the back of the wheel as well as the front.

Onto the exterior...I was surprised at how much I liked the black top. Its very nice and reflective, not to mention that the sunroof integrates seamlessly with it. The sunroof on the wite top obviously stands out a bit, but isn't ugly by any means. The chrome accents and metal front mesh on the Cooper look better than the body-colored ones on the S, IMO, which was a slight disappointment. I guess those could all be easily swapped out though. The rear end of the S looks nice and sporty when compared to the Cooper, and the chrome "S" side gills add a nice touch. They had all fo the wheel variations there, and I definitely like the v-spoke design the best, especially when its painted white. The 17" design looked much nicer in person that it does in the pictures, so I could totally live with that too. The base Cooper wheels were okay, as were the 5-spokes, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get either of them. The door handles look brilliant in chrome and the doors close wit a very nice and solid feel.

Overall, I was very, very impressed! Even in their relatively remote location, they were drawing a big crowd, with lots of oohs and ahhhs emitting from everyone who stopped by. There was a girl who drive by in a brand new Beetle, who needless to say left looking a bit sad :)

In any case, follow the link below to the pictures I took. If you have any specific questions regarding the US-spec mini, I'll try my best to answer them. Otherwise...enjoy!!!

Cheers,

Kevin
'00 M Coupe
'02 Mini Cooper S (can't wait!!!!)

Minis unloading in the Presidio

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
really good pictures & web site :) :cool: :cool:
Good work mate, not long for you Yanks now :p

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Way to go! Appreciate the effort. Nice pics. and review.
But why are they on the west coast instead of the east?:(

·
Registered
189 Posts
POST SOME MORE PICS! Please!

And make these bigger - must see!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Silly me - I just saw your extra hyperlink - sorry. Excellent photos!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Im sure there will be big Smiles like this :D :D :D in the Garden State :cool: :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
You, my friend Kevin, are the MAN!
Great pics!! I am salivating. Cant wait for a test drive, and then till july to pick mine up!!

Daniel

·
Registered
189 Posts
Silly me - I just saw your extra hyperlink - sorry. Excellent photos!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for the info and pictures. My guess would be that these cars will be used at the dealer training session in S.F. next week. My salesman told me that he would get his first chance to drive one then.

Tom

·
Registered
90 Posts
Kevin,

You made my day....no my week! Thanks for all the pics. Hopefully everyone that's tired of waiting for the MINIs to arrive in the states can now see that there is light at the end of the tunnel (or is that a MINI with Xenon headlights overtaking a Subaru WRX?)

Thanks again Kevin....:) :D :)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Kevin_B, thanks so much for the story, your impressions, and the PICTURES! :)

After looking for the past 8 months of lots and lots of pictures of MINIs from the MINI2 members in the UK, it is kind of strange to see MINIs in bright sunlight :D
(sorry -- I love the UK -- but its so true!)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Love the pictures! Its sooo nice seeing the mini in a nice sunny climate! Makes me think of driving a mini down to the beach in the summer. yay!

Saw the once picture of the dark silver S with the S spokes and loved it but I wanted to see what it would look like in indy blue so here you go.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Kevin, many thanks for the pictures and the writeup! As Tony the Tiger would say, "They are ggrrrEAT!" Got me drooling all over my keyboard for a moment... :D :eek:

just a question for you as I can't make it out easily from the bright sunlight in the pics, the 17" wheels on that Dark Silver S are in silver correct? That's the exact combination I am going for... finally get to see it in a sunny outdoor setting. What a sight! thanks again :)

----------------------------------------------------------

now wait a minute... why are US Coopers missing that auto folding mirrors button near the side mirror adjustment controls? :(
http://65.84.48.123/~kevin/new_minis_presidio/Pages/Image36.html

can any UK owners confirm that there is suppose a button there for folding the mirrors?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jayomatic said:
Saw the once picture of the dark silver S with the S spokes and loved it but I wanted to see what it would look like in indy blue so here you go.
That looks great! I think Indy is the color I'm going to go for, and I think it would look very nice with the white roof. The dark silver was very impressive in person though, so this encounter definitely gave me something to think about...

Just a question for you as I can't make it out easily from the bright sunlight in the pics, the 17" wheels on that Dark Silver S are in silver correct? That's the exact combination I am going for...[/B]

Yup, they were silver. Very nice looking. I'd get the V-spokes in white, but the 17"-ers in silver.

One thing I realized after seeing these cars is that EVERY color is gonna look good on them! I thought I'd hate the EB, but it looked very nice. I think that the curvy surface of the Mini's body will make any color and wheel combination look spectacular. Ever notice how, with the same color on a 5-series and a Z3, the color always looks better on the Z3? I guess the curves just give it a broader range of highlights vs dark areas. The Mini should shine in this department too.

Gald y'all enjoyed the pics!

Cheers,

Kevin
'00 M Coupe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KarmanS said:
now wait a minute... why are US Coopers missing that auto folding mirrors button near the side mirror adjustment controls? :(
http://65.84.48.123/~kevin/new_minis_presidio/Pages/Image36.html

can any UK owners confirm that there is suppose a button there for folding the mirrors?
If I remember correctly, the Cooper mirrors did fold, but manually. I didn't see any button for folding the mirrors on the S, but to tell you the truth I wasn't looking...

Cheers,

Kevin

·
Registered
66 Posts
how about this? Cooper S: Black with white bonnet stripes and trim. Want more chrome! ooooo. . . and 4 rally lights for the grill!

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
WOW!! A Cooper S in Indi Blue............haven't seen a pic of that before now..........my exact color choice!! :D :D :D

Absolutely great pics. Thanks Kevin B!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
That Indy Blue S is a quick photoshop job I did. I still have never seen a Cooper S in Indy Blue. Has anyone ever seen an Indy Blue Cooper S?

I would love to see one in real life or in a picture.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts