MINI Cooper Forum banner

Say it Ain't So!

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  SoggyCornFlakes 
#1 ·
I just saw the latest issue of 'Octane' magazine. They briefly discussed the design changes for the MINI in 2007. For starters the bonnet (hood) sports a HUGE bulge to accomadate the new engine to replace the current lump. Next the fender flares become wider. In my opinion the design changes do not bode well for the MINI. Perhaps Chris Bangle is influencing the redesign. I hope not!
Ken

#2 ·
When a company scores as big as BMW did with the MINI design, it's very hard to follow that design with an equally great redesign and lets face it, life is nothing but constant changes. Some we like and some we don't. For me, I love my 2003 MCS. If they screw up the next generation MINI, Oh Well. There will be those that love the new design and I'll either keep what I got or go looking for something else. With 180,000 miles on my 1988 Corvette and the Mini at 14,000 miles, I don't expect to be looking for a replacement for the Mini any time soon.

#3 ·
Generally speaking, engine modifications precede chassis modifications by a year or two, Often, engines are mounted in old chasis to test them, and there are "fit" problems requiring a sheet metal bulge or two. It is not usually the case that these issues are not resolved by production. Arguing about what the 2007 Mini will look like is like figuring out how many Angels will fit on the end of a pin.

#5 ·
Yes, i read that article today at the Bookstore. The 3 things where a BMW engine, Wider Wheel wells, and the length will change for the 4 door version and/or the truck type version. Is what I got from the article. None of these are due to come into effect until 2007.

#8 ·
I thought Mr Bangle had left BMW ,hope so then he'll get nowhere near the MINI.It must be the same feeling as when they first introduced the mini clubman front on the classic mini or squared off the grill from the mark 1 to the mark 2.

#9 ·
Pure Speculation

Hi agree with your comments. Trying to nail down a specific design for the 2007 MINI is pure speculation at this point. But it's fun to discuss. Many times automakers have heavily disguised test mules to work out the bugs and keep prying eyes from tipping their design ideas. On the other hand telling a automaker their design concepts are good or bad isn't a bad idea just in case some of the bad ideas make it to production. For me the huge bonnet bulge does not belong on a MINI. I would however, welcome a two seat Speedster MINI!
Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.