MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scraped my new 18”Alloy - Pics!!!

Someone else started his thread and deleted there post probably for unknown reasons (I dont have any 18's), this was initially advising the thread starter on how to resolve the problem of kerbed wheels (go to your local dealership). But now it appears I cannot delete this post ???? Any moderators feel free to delete this post/thread as I didnt start the thread oh well never mind :)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
If it were mine I'd put the two rear wheels on the front and the new one on the back with the other front. This way both front tyres should have the same wear and you wouldn't feel any difference when driving. ;)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
LMB said:
Do you think the Tyre is still alright R1?

I was thinking I could swap the Tyre round so the chunk is in the the inside. You can do that right? or do tyres have to rotate a particular way?
I wouldn't trust the tyre myself. Sidewall damage is a big no no really. :(

Many tyres are directional these days and can only go on one way. Check for a rotation arrow on the sidewalls. ;)

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Thats a fair chunk out of the tyre Mo ! :eek:

If you are buying a new wheel, get the damaged one refurbished anyway........just in case it happens again.......;)

I agree with Steve on the sidewall issue, its risky...........:(

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Mind you I've just studied your pic and the tyre doesn't look that bad. Most internall damage is usually done when kerbing at speed. If this was done when parking, it would probably be OK.

Take it to a tyre fitters tomorrow and ask them about it. Most of them are quite good with their advice.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Mo - Attached pics are what Mini cruiser (presume you know her) has done in the past to her wheels and had fixed by a company called A1 in Wolverhampton I think

Maybe worth a PM to her before you shell out £250 on a NEW wheel and tyre!! :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
i wreked my superleggeras not long ago cos someone pulled out in front of me! 4 inch split!!!! I was well angry! cos u wreck one, and you lost 900 quid!!!!!!! cos u loose em all! is soooo anooying wen u krub a wheel.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could save a bit of money, get the wheel refurbished, buy a new tyre (I wouldnt trust the tyre if it had a chunk out of it myself) stick the new tyre on the refurbished wheel and then swap the fronts to the rears and vice versa. I couldnt even tell when they had refurbished my wheel it was that good.
Best of luck whichever you decide to do - I hate seeing a kerbed wheel on my car it just irritates me knowing its there.

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Sorry to see that Mo :(

If the sidewall of the tyre is damaged you must change it. I think it's illegal if a chunk is missing :eek:
Definately dangerous at best...

Get a new wheel and get the old one repaired as a spare. It's going to happen again unfortunately :(

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
sorry to read this thread Mo :mad: :mad: Ibam having two of my techno's repaired to be used as spares in future. If you are going to have a spare wheel it might be an idea to have the rotation of the tyre on the nearside (passenger side) as thats the most likely side for damage/punctures. :eek:

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
LMB said:
Clare who fixed that wheel for you? That's some job. How much did it cost? Thanks.;)

I've just done a search on 'Kerbing' and it's made me feel a whole lot better. It seems we've all done it at some point.:rolleyes:
Sorry to hear that Mo.... :( .... try a company called Romax, based in Stockton... They've done one of my pickup wheels and did a cracking job... the rim was well gouged and its perfect now.... the nly charged me 35 ut thats becuase they are only 13''s... he quoted me £50 for the Hartge's as I got a spare thats slightly damaged when I bought them.... plus they'll fit a tyre (you supply) and balance it all in.... I've got the number at work

As for the tyre i'd bin it, not worth the risk of it blowing out, however long that may take or indeed never happen.... as for the new tyre put it on the back, on the front you want matching tread depths or it'll wander and feel strange to drive...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I also kerbed one of my alloys in the same place.

After much concern, I got mine repaired by the dealer.
I think they charged me £35.
Did a great job too!

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
Mo,

Its Romax Uk
Unit 4,
Ross Road
Stockton-on-Tees.
01642 619196

I'm not sure if they do collection, I took mine down there....

·
Deserter Zed
2,204 Posts
neva kerbed an alloy parking but ad a blow out in my last car, spun it into the barrier, writing off tha car an distroying 2 18's!!! so gutted!!

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
villa mini said:
Just out of curiosity - does it take them long to fix it?
it depends.... they will do an entire car in a day, a drive in 8am drive out 5pm service... I left mine for a few days, only because I couldnt be bothered to go and pick it up !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
17 Participants
Davislove3rd
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing