MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks - Recently I have noticed quite alot of swirling on my paintwork mainly due to going through the Asda softwash (Ocean).

I tried the Meguires Scratch X on a small part of the bodywork yesterday and it didn't seem to have any effect at all. I cleaned it down first with the quick detail spray and then applied the Scratch X with a pad. I put a thin coat on and waited for it to dry. Lastly I buffed it off with a cotton towel.

I repeated this 2 - 3 times on the same spot but could still not tell the difference (looking at it in sunlight).

Am I doing this right ? or am I expecting too much here ?.

·
Registered
716 Posts
hi there!

How were you applying the Scratch X? They way to use it is to put a small blob on the applicator and then work it in small areas till it's all rubbed in. It requires a bit of elbow grease to work - but it does work. Do small 6" square areas at a time - rub it in and then wipe it off - don't let it dry out.

If you are only applying it lightly, letting it dry and then wiping it off it won't do anything to your finish.

Scracth X contains fine abrasives which break down as you work it in - this way it polishes out scratches to a nice glossy shine!

If you are working it in as above then feel the scratches with your nails - if you can catch an edge of the scratch then it's probably to deep for Scratch X to work by hand.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wul said:
hi there!

How were you applying the Scratch X? They way to use it is to put a small blob on the applicator and then work it in small areas till it's all rubbed in. It requires a bit of elbow grease to work - but it does work. Do small 6" square areas at a time - rub it in and then wipe it off - don't let it dry out.

If you are only applying it lightly, letting it dry and then wiping it off it won't do anything to your finish.

Scracth X contains fine abrasives which break down as you work it in - this way it polishes out scratches to a nice glossy shine!

If you are working it in as above then feel the scratches with your nails - if you can catch an edge of the scratch then it's probably to deep for Scratch X to work by hand.

Good Luck :)
My application went nothing like this !!. It certainly sounds like the way to do it - marvellous !!.

How do you know when it's all rubbed in ? - does it just disappear ?. Also how much pressure does it need - none, firm etc ?. Lastly - do you apply it in a circular motions or in straight lines ?.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hi again! there's a reply on the megs forum too but to answer your questions:

It basically dries and starts to "dust" when it's rubbed in.

The pressure depends on the scratch - try gradually increasing the pressure till you see the results - it may take a few applications over the same area.

with scratch x you may need to apply both straight and circular to remove the swirls depending on the direction of the scratch.

BUT OF ALL THNGS - PLEASE STOP USING AUTOMATIC CAR WASHES!

Buy some megs car wash shampoo and a lambswool mitt or your scratches will be back in jig time!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts