MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I bought some meguiars scratch x today to try and remove some light scratches from the door of my beloved Swiper. I used a good cloth and rubbed it in but it doesnt seem to have touched the scratches, what am I doing wrong as people seem to like this product. I have always used meguiars polish/wash on him.
Any help would be appreciated as being BEP means the scratches show,although you cant feel them.

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
i've just used it for the 1st time and found it takes ALOT of time and elbow grease to remove the lightest of marks. I was really surprised at the complete lack of abrasive in ScratchX.

I ended up using a rubber eraser to work the ScratchX into the marks on my paint, which worked very well. Its lack of abrasive content makes it miles kinder than traditional T-cut but takes longer to achieve satisfactory results. Another tip a body shop showed me was to use a pencil with a rubber eraser on the end to work on a small scratch and minimise the area of paint worked on and concentrate the pressure on the tiny area that needs attention.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice am working on it!
Will let you know if I have any success.

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
I found that the Auto Glym paint renovator was slightly more abrasive, so when I get a more stubborn scratch I use the Auto Glym first and then finish of lightly with Scratch X.

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
found my scratch x, deffo not up to scratch lol
but will give your tips a go, perhaps better second time around

cheers

·
MINI2 Veteran
701 Posts
hmm, out of the two, Glym Paint Renovator is probably more abrasive as said.

Try that first, then rebuild the wax on the car.

Scratch x requires a nice dollop, and a lot of elbow grease!

·
Will Johnson
32 Posts
for what its worth - german paint is very very hard... ScratchX (and most other brands) of hand scratch removal polishes will really really struggle... That said, i found a small mark on my dark silver MCS and just had to get rid of it....

Using my UGM pad i applied about 5 layers.... while it looked like it was working it wasnt really having the effect i know it can produce (used to have a black 206....)

I then cracked out the Megs G220 with a Sonus #3 pad and began to machine polish the area... a couple of applications later and the mark had all but vanished! hurrah... hope that helps... extreme i know, but does the job!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts