Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****** up in the rain

hoped, I won't ever post somthing on the faults-forum:
drove to work yesterday (happy, like every morning since it's coopertime) in quite heavy rain, stopped the engine at a traffic light (trying desperatly to safe the fuel for the twisty roads)- restarted the engine and: the complete electrical system brake down. No wipers, no indicators, no fan, no central locking, no electric window winders. The headlights were working but I could not switch them off. The engine was still working fine. The dash board lights weren't able to be switched off at all.
From the office I called the service. The service manager told me, probably a flooded body controller. They have to replace it and find out were the water came in - maybe at the A-pillar. This will take hours and they won't fit it untill tuesday or wednesday.
I was really pissed off (excuse my language!) because I had the bags already packed to see my mates and my parents this weekend and show them my baby :(
They brought me a new BMW 320d Touring and took my Cooper to the service centre - with my luggage because we could not open the boot. The emergency opener wasn't there!
After work I went to the dealer and a really charming young lady mechanic :) folded the rear seats by sticking her fingers between the back rest and the boot cover (?? whats the right term?).
They still had to order some parts :(
I decided to see my friends anyway.
The first impression of the 3 series Touring was very surprising. I know this car quite well, drove a 320i E46 for six months in south africa when I was doing my thesis and founnd the handling of the car very good - but compared to my mini, it is a truck!!! To soft, not direct and not sharp at all in the way it changes the direction. The standard seats are just flat, the driving position not active enough. I want my MINI back!
I was wondering the whole time since I got the car, how it feels to drive a normal car again. Now I know. I am really a passionate driver and I love BMWs but its just not that intensive, active and pure driving like in a MINI (of course a 320d is NOT a M3 or even a 330i - there are BMW-fun-machines as well - but they start at 75 000 Euro and - they are still not handling as sharp as a Cooper).
There's one good thing about it: Tomorrow I will take out my Moto Guzzi for a ride - I almost forgot about riding motorcycle.

Hope, the wet stays away from you all.

j.:)

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
You stopped your car at a traffic light to save fuel? You're kidding right? Does naybody else out there turn off the ignition at a light to save fuel? I'm 99% sure you're using more fuel that way...takes way more fuel to restart it than to just let it keep running for..what...one minute?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Bit like a flourescent light. Takes more power to start the choke than it does to run the thing all day!!.

And umm, no I don't turn off the engine at traffic lights. I would consider it potentialy dangerous to do so.

my 2c.....

·
Registered
164 Posts
This has made me smile, the turning the engine off:) :) :)
... not not the complete elecrical failure. :mad: :mad: :mad:

If you start doing that you'll end up pushing it a half a mile every day to increase your fuel consumptioneven more! Glad to know the MINI is better to drive that a 320! I'm replacing an Mercedes A class so the difference should be even more noticable. On the test drives I've resorted to thinking about drivng to Richmond park just to try some ELK evasion techniques. I cant wait for MINI me....

·
Registered
573 Posts
Originally Posted by kshapiro
You stopped your car at a traffic light to save fuel? You're kidding right? Does naybody else out there turn off the ignition at a light to save fuel? I'm 99% sure you're using more fuel that way...takes way more fuel to restart it than to just let it keep running for..what...one minute?
Yeah, I was told this by my father who is a mechanic.

Andy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok guys, you won't see me switching off the engine at every traffic light for sure. The one I mentioned I know well and it keeps its red for quite a long time.
The discussion if it's possible to save some fuel by doing this, depends definitely on the car and the type of engine management. If you drive a vehicle with carburetor, needing to push the accelerator to start, you'll need more fuel to start it then to let it run for one or two minutes.
A modern engine with computer engine management like the one in the MINI won't do so. Studies have shown that (if the engine is warm already!!!) you save fuel on longer stops like railway crossings or the mentioned long lasting traffic light by stalling the engine instead of letting it idle.
Maybe some of you remeber the trials of VW with their start_stop automatic Golf in the ending 80s. The engine stoped turning by pushing a buttopn and restarted by hitting the accelerator. The reason why this car had no success was probably the lacking acceptance of the customers.

Anyway, the fact that I restarted the engine had nothing to do with the electric brakedown.

j.:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Now correct me if I'm wrong (a distinct possibility - it is late ;) ) but isn't there a law in Germany that requires drivers to turn off their engines if they are stationary for over a certain length of time?

I have vague recollections of this from my GCSE German lessons (one of the few things I do remember :p )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.