MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I MIGHT be buying a MCS Convertible very shortly and am just turbo reading through this forum to raise my awareness on the convertible and any issues etc

One thing which keeps popping up is Scuttle Shake... what on earth is this?!?

Any other tips/advice etc would be fantastic as I really am a complete newbie when it comes to convertibles. I have owned 2 hatchbacks (both R53 and R56) before so I am no stranger to Minis however :)

Thanks for any support!

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
The scuttle panel is basically the entire dash area, the top of it, the front of it, behind it etc. On soft tops you tend to get scuttle panel to greater or lesser degree because a lot of metal has been chopped of the original hatch/saloon/whatever, and despite reinforcing the frame/chassis, it's not usually as stiff as a tin top. The scuttle shake is basically a result of this. If you stick your finger between the dash top/side and the door panel, you will be able to feel movement. Not always wise, as you may get it pinched in the process.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more quick question....Slightly worried about what I am reading MPG wise! Coming from a highly tuned R53 Cooper S with about 230bhp.. I was getting around 32mpg which I thought was ok... I see that convertibles are getting around 25?!? This seems very low, is this right?

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
You'll need someone else to come in on that one, as with the press cars I wouldn't usually drive them as I would my own! :eek: That said, it didn't seem shockingly different. But I struggled to keep a regular S above 30 anyway!

·
off out....
19,946 Posts
One more quick question....Slightly worried about what I am reading MPG wise! Coming from a highly tuned R53 Cooper S with about 230bhp.. I was getting around 32mpg which I thought was ok... I see that convertibles are getting around 25?!? This seems very low, is this right?
Our MCSC was the most efficient S we ever had tbh and not through being slow etc :p :D It did around 30-32mpg mostly driving round town/urban areas.

A strut brace will help relieve some of the scuttle shake as will getting rid of the runflats :)

·
clubMINI Master
992 Posts
I will get about 500 kms out of a tank so about 10litres per 100 kms.....so...........thats 310 miles.....so about (if my maths is correct) 28 Miles per gallon...........wow my brain hurts.....so not too bad and that is mostly with the top down and driven quite hard!

·
clubMINI Master
992 Posts
A GTT strut brace will not only help the scuttle but will also help the handling enormously and looks great! I am biased though....wouldn't have anything else on my car now!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im a bit worried about the handling. I understand that strut braces tighten things up etc, but Im used to throwing my car around corners and not having to worry about understeer or body roll etc, is the the MCSC good in terms of handling or is it a bit wobbly?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well its a pretty new one (56 plate) so hopefully the roof should be ok?

Im so undecided, cant make my mind up whether I would rather it was a hatch or not. The spec on it is just fantastic which has attracted me to it, but deep down I think I would rather it was a hatch... but saying that I have never driven a convertible (or even been driven in one for that matter!!) so I cant really judge...

Even with the top down are they as agile as a hatch, do they roll into corners more or no different?

Cheers :)

·
Totally Mad!
9,105 Posts
Convertibles are fantastic, you'll have to drive it so you can see, it's lovely to have so much light, much more than you ever get with a sunroof :cool:

I don't notice any scuttle shake in mine, of course you get the odd rattle, and yes they can be chucked into corners without a problem ;)

My Dennis is an 06 Cooper S Works and I'm averaging 29 mpg :)

So when are you test driving? :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats the problem!
The one I am looking at is about 200 miles away and I need to tell him today over the phone if I am having it or not!!! So I would be buying blind, having never test driven one or been in a convertible full stop! So its not ideal :(

Thats why I'm relying on you guys giving me your feedback to help me make my mind up!!

What sort of driving do you do to get 29mpg? I used to get 32 in my MCS with pretty aggresive driving on country lanes...
Cheers
Nick

·
Totally Insane!
7,800 Posts
I have been in Nicky's convertible and it was great! :D With the roof down, the heated seats on you can hear the exhaust and the supercharger!! Its lovely! I had never been in a convertible, but I would consider one now! :D It didn't feel any different to mine, I mean obviously I wasn't driving it, bu it just felt like a MINI with no roof! :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What about with the roof up though, cos realistically it is going to be up more than it is down!
Is it noisy, cold, drafty, rattly, or anything like that?

·
Totally Mad!
9,105 Posts
No, it's not freezing at all, ok it gets chilly with the roof down in mid winter but as long as you wrap up warm and wear gloves you're grand :D

With the roof up it's very cosy and you don't get draughts or anything like that :)

Occasionally with the roof down the back windows might rattle a bit, or as I've just noticed this morning, my wind deflector is obvioulsy loose on one side and that's make a noise but generally you don't notice it :)

You're only in Preston, pop up to North Yorks Nick and I'll take you out for a spin in Dennis :D

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
I love my July 04 Cooper Cabrio! My first ever convertible, and although there are rattles from time to time, and the ongoing concern about roof wear, I am still happy as Larry to be sat behind the wheel with the roof down (wind deflector a MUST, not an option!).

In fact, I'm so satisifed with my car that I have a real problem - although I placed my order over 2 years ago for a new R57, I'm increasingly wondering why bother changing for a new one! :eek: It might end up being a bit more economical, but not so much that it would justify the outlay required......and since I told them the way I was thinking, MINI has made exactly zero effort to persuade me otherwise! Makes me wonder whether or not they are really bothered about trying to sell new cars in this difficult market......or to keep their loyal customers...

·
Totally Mad!
9,105 Posts
What sort of driving do you do to get 29mpg? I used to get 32 in my MCS with pretty aggresive driving on country lanes...
Cheers
Nick
Sorry I forgot to answer this earlier, it's some spirited driving on country lanes (short drive to work) and some longer A road journeys, I think if you were doing motorway or A road driving all the time you'd easily get 30mpg average :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts