MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I regularly drive my partner's R56 Cooper S and get hacked off when I take the seat belt off to park and that annoying beeper starts going off to tell me I have taken my seat belt off. I know, I dont need a f***ing beeper to tell me that.

Anybody know if and how it can be disabled other than getting a dealer to do it??

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Curious... Why do you need to remove our seat belt to park? If someone were to slam into you while you were parking you could be seriously injured. If not by being hit, the airbags would do some serious damage to you. The only way that I have seen this done is by tearing the locking mechanism apart and tricking the system into thinking there is a belt plugged in.

·
24hr
248 Posts
Don't think it's possible as the beeper is the same for all the cars other warning tones. plus the pressure sensor is built into the seats ?

As DaFlake said why do you need to take the seat belt off to park ?

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
There is a switch built into the connector that can be "jammed" but it does mean prying the thing apart and to be honest I don't recommend it as it is a "safety" device. Could void your insurance if the company finds it tampered with...

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
cliveyboy8 said:
Thanks for your reply, although it has not helped one little bit.

Perhaps there is someone out there who could offer some serious help.
How is posting...
Don't think it's possible
...not helping? :confused:

Pretty much a direct answer to the question...
cliveyboy8 said:
Anybody know if and how it can be disabled other than getting a dealer to do it??
...or am I missing something? :confused:

O.K, so maybe posting...
just park quicker :D
...isn't exactly serious, but he does have a valid point, how long does it take you to park?

This subject hasn't, to my knowledge, been raised before on here (and pretty much every other subject has, often many times) so my guess is it isn't seen as a problem by any of the other members.

The only way I can think of stopping it happening is to come to a complete stop before starting your parking manoeuvre, switch off the engine, remove your seatbelt, then restart the engine, as the warning alarm doesn't activate until you reach a set speed after first starting the engine, and unless you're Russ Swift you won't reach that speed whilst parking.

Clearly doing that every time is a complete pain, so your only other options are to learn to park whilst wearing a seatbelt, or live with the alarm going off.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks for your reply, although it has not helped one little bit.

Perhaps there is someone out there who could offer some serious help.
Sorry you feel this way...

Maybe I should have elaborated and said that I always remove my belt whilst reverse parking, I pull up beside a parked gear, remove the belt select reverse and reverse park the car. I never hear the warning tone doing this.

The only time I've heard it is when I've forgotten to belt up for some reason and I've gotten half way down the block before the tone starts. I actually thought it only started at a certain speed, maybe they have changed things or your parking require a very long reverse.

·
Registered
135 Posts
the bleeper only goes off if u take ur belt off above 5mph. and im pretty sure the warning light stays on all the time for the drivers side. its not really a big deal, just dont take ur belt off til ur parked.

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
This subject hasn't, to my knowledge, been raised before on here (and pretty much every other subject has, often many times) so my guess is it isn't seen as a problem by any of the other members.
I remember only one other post about this from a foreign member but I cannot find it so I believe it must have been deleted. In that case, I seem to recall the original thread starter resorting to flaming when no other MINI2 member would agree this was a problem. Not saying that Clive is going to start doing this, but I think this shows that it's a very minor 'inconvenience'.

The only way I can think of stopping it happening is to come to a complete stop before starting your parking manoeuvre, switch off the engine, remove your seatbelt, then restart the engine, as the warning alarm doesn't activate until you reach a set speed after first starting the engine, and unless you're Russ Swift you won't reach that speed whilst parking.

Clearly doing that every time is a complete pain, so your only other options are to learn to park whilst wearing a seatbelt, or live with the alarm going off.
I have to say, I can't understand why you would need to take your seatbelt off to park. You should be aware of where everything is by looking around you within the confines of the seatbelt and also using your mirrors.

·
SimonSJR
263 Posts
This one is easy!!!! Go on ebay or to your local scrap yard and get a seat belt plug from an old car and plug it in.

Although if you like to wear your seat belt while driving and just take it off to park :confused: , then maybe keep the spare seat belt plug in the side door and plug it in?

I have always done this with my passenger seat as I tend to put heavy reports on it (due to my job) and the weight sets off the beepers so I cut a plug out of an old astra :p

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
On mine, if I pull up, select reverse, and then reverse it doesnt beep when I take off my belt, just puts the light in the speedo ;) I dont take my belt off to park, but do to reverse down the driveway (im pretty sure no other cars will hit me there :p)

So are you parking forwards, or backwards? :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts