MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lord of The Four Rings
11,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any issues with the seat belt not retracting quickly when you need to get out? I've had it changed once already but now it seems to be the same problem again. :rolleyes:

·
Lord of The Four Rings
11,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't slammed the buckle yet :p but the belt has got caught in the door a few times. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I have to 'push' it back to get the blasted roller mechanism working a bit better.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
mine does that annoying thing, but I've never done anything about it, just generally chuck it in the seat before I close the door:)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
I had the rear two belts replaced in mine as they wouldn't retract at all... but the front ones are very lethargic....

Problem is they get all sorts of dirt in the mechanisms on the soft top, you can whip off the quarter panel and oil them which cures it, or book it in at the dealer. If you DIY be careful not to get oil on the belt fabric ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jumping in on a ten-year-old thread, I know, but it was the top hit on Google when I was looking for a solution. What worked for me in the end was actually just *washing* the seatbelt itself. I got the idea from a YouTube video (I can't post URLs!) and was quite surprised to find it worked.

Basically:

• Put towel on seat
  • Put bucket full of hot soapy (I used Ariel washing liquid) water on towel
  • Pull out seatbelt to max extent, hold it there with a clothes peg
  • Slide the belt buckle clip out of the way up the belt
  • Stuff as much seatbelt as possible into the bucket
  • Stir, squish, generally wash
  • Leave in bucket for a while -- I left it for an hour
  • Stir, squish, generally wash
  • Replace water with clean fresh water
  • Stir, squash, generally rinse
  • Dry off with towel as best you can
  • Leave draped over steering wheel to dry off completely. I left mine overnight and it was dry by morning
Before I did that, it was flopping about, getting in the damn way, and generally not retracting every time I got out of the car. Since I washed it, three weeks ago, it's retracted like a dream every time.

Given that it only costs some time and some soapy water, might be a good thing to try first on an old Mini...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also, the seat belt retraction unit is tied into the air bag system/passenger seat detection sensor and if there are problems with the system the front seat belts will not retract well or not at all. Mine never retracts on its own even after having the seat sensor replaced (twice) but am going to try the belt washing method right now. Nothing ventured...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts