MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from a newbie,

Finally got to test-drive a MCS at the weekend and was really impressed with the drive as I'm sure you all know why!! I wasn't so impressed by the £20K price by the time I put the options on however......

I would like peoples opinion of why they would buy new verses second hand. The obvious you get all the options, colour, wheels etc etc you want and nothing more but these options seem to loose so much as soon as you drive out of the showroom. I have found a cherished Mini's less than a year with less than 3000 miles for under 17K and private for under 16K.

Would love to here your expert opinions for and against both as I'm currently swaying to second hand. A point that might make a difference, I will be buying outright with no finance. Ideally after MCS with Chili, Sports suspension & LSD, MFSW HIFI upgrade.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
go to a car supermarket and save a fortune,sometime they have new unregistered cars ,alot cheaper than new list,try motorhouse cannock ,thats where i got my first MCS from.

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Look out for one thats just a few months old privately and if you can get near to your spec youll be saving ££££s..
I found mine with only 400 miles on it privately and saved myself £3500 over new ;)
Look around a buyers market at the moment ..

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just getting a 57 plate Dec 07 build spot on build wise for me and even better just over 1K on the clock. It was the back up service car. If I’d spec’d the exact car it would have cost me over 16K so saved around 3K, and I even came with TLC as well.

Girl came back with an offer of £600 for my old car, amazingly it jumped to £1000 when the door beckoned….which was about right, the car had a value of around £1200 for my Civic. I will be buying outright as well its cash plus trade in.

The dealer was over run with second hand nearly new cars, Deals are there to be had…….I was going to see the car anyway but it dropped £500 the day before.

I liked the whole cherished Mini's

12 month MINI unlimited mileage warranty
12 month MINI Emergency Service cover
Independent mileage and history check
Full service history
21 check before hand over.

I know that does not count for much but its peace of mind for me. Friend has bought many cars privately and its been hit and miss for him.

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
Second hand is best with your ideal spec, Southern cars tend to be specced up loads so search around southern dealerships ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,

Ye Ive been looking and a 20K car is only worth 16K privately or 17K dealer in less than a year. Seems people are missled by mini's claims of high residuals. Ive never bought a new car due to the initial depreciation but was led to believe mini's were different.

Very much swaying to nearly new 2nd hand, hopefully private for more savings. Only problem is people dont seem to spec Limited Slip Diffs and Sports Suspension. Seem very rare??

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Go seconf hand or nearly new. honestly youa re a mug to buy brand new

The R56 MCS is availabel from 11500 upwards. The one i quote here is available from a BMW main dealer. which is very cheap

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got my 1st mini 2nd hand(cooper).But got my cooper s brand new and to the spec I wanted whilst trying to keep the cost down.Its quite hard to say which is the best way to buy because with 2nd hand sometimes you might have to comprimise with the spec a bit, but then again you might just find one with the spec you want and possibly more for a decent price.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My advice is a car is going to get old anyway so why not buy a nearly new and get big savings?

Look around - DONT buy the first thing you see...

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
One caveat about buying a nearly new very low mileage car (any car) outwith the dealer network - ask yourself why the car is where it is. The best cars tend to be within the manufacturer's dealer network, if the car is elsewhere you need to ask why. Likewise with private sellers. Not many people pay cash for £20k cars, so you need to be 100% sure the car that the car is finance free and is what is claims to be.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My cooper d is my first brand new car. It's cost a lot of money but the peace of mind alone is worth evry penny. I've had a few niggly problems and everything has been looked at and resolved by BMW.

I'm not saying if I'd bought a cherished MINI I wouldn't have had the same amount of service but at least I get 3 years peace of mind rather than 1 year.

There's pros and cons to both new and 2nd hand but one things for sure... I wouldn't spend above 35k on a private sale for fear of what can go wrong... even if I did get an HPI check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm Ive bought lots of 2nd had cars & bikes privately and as long as you do your homework and get a full data check you'd struggle to go wrong in my opinion. I'm looking at a less than year old model so will have a minimum of 2 years full manufactures warrentee remaining. No need to pay an extra 1K to BMW for a dealer car as the additional warrentee is worthless! Dealers do have the best selection of nearly new however. People should be less scared of buying and selling cars privately.

Agreed you get just what you want buying new but loosing 3K + in the first year is hard to swallow! Why does everyone say mini's have such great residuals?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Scarily, I've bought 5 different Minis in the past, and not one of them was brand new.
They have all been around a year old, and have had less than 15000 miles.
If you do some careful shopping around, you can get some nice options for the price of a basic specced new one.
Buying nearly new, you still get the majority of the warranty, breakdown cover, tlc etc, so you still get peace of mind.
If you use the Mini Cherished site, you can also specify the kind of spec, colour, milage, age etc you want, so its a bit like buying a new one anyway.

·
Polo GT Owner!
3,938 Posts
You'll also find some stealers are a rip off compared to others, not mentioning any names ofcourse :p

Shop around for sure, go used....you'll find the right one out there somewhere and at the right price :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts