MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
iPod. Do you?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently, my MCS has taken to starting only at the second turn of the key. The first time the revs simply don't pick up and it falters. Next time, the car starts perfectly, with rising revs down to idle.

About 2 weeks ago, the DSC light and tyre pressure light came on on the motorway, but upon stopping and investigating there was no discernable problem - handling an performance are fine (bar a little hunt and stumble, which with the tuning which is about to happen, will hopefully disappear). Re-started car no problem, and no problems bar the above since.

Any similar experiences? This is such a pain, as the car goes off for tuning Thurs, and I might have to get that postponed so that problem are fixed under warranty. Grrrr.

Pete

·
Registered
429 Posts
Have you had your software updated recently? I had the cold start problem back in '02 but it was resolved with a SW update. Now a few weeks ago, I had mine updated again (I think to v.38) and it starts up fine but idles irradically off the cold start. Id suggest going to your dealer and talking with them about it. It seems like every MINI is slightly different and one SW version does not work for all of them.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Have you tried turning the key to the accessory position first, waiting a few seconds while you fasten your seat belt and then starting the car? I've read this lets the fuel pump build up pressure.

·
iPod. Do you?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both,

Will try the key to ignition only and see what happens, and if not let the stealer have a shuftie. Odd thing is, the car runs fine once started and always (without exception) starts perfectly at the second time of asking. Ho hum.

Thanks again
Pete

·
Registered
295 Posts
TT_Convert said:
Thanks both,

Will try the key to ignition only and see what happens, and if not let the stealer have a shuftie. Odd thing is, the car runs fine once started and always (without exception) starts perfectly at the second time of asking. Ho hum.

Thanks again
Pete
I've got exactly the same problem on my MCS and I've had the software updated. As BrantV said, if you turn the ignition and wait a few seconds before starting it seems to work but I feel I shouldn't have to do this on a new car - none of my other cars have had this problem.

I've got a BMP cold air intake on my car and figured the starting problem could be caused by this? Don't know if other BMP users have had this problem?

I also heard on another thread that this could be caused by petrol differences in summer time or something like that. Don't ask me what exactly though cos I can't remember. You could try doing a search on this subject for more info though ;)

Cheers, LB.

·
iPod. Do you?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree that on a new car, this shouldn't be the case, but they seem to have their own personalities, manifesting themselves in all sorts of ways! Not sure about the petrol...although I try to fill with Optimax most of the time, I used BP Ultimate last time, but it was all but a full tank, so this shouldn't make any difference.

I do try and search for info, but "second time start" or similar combinations didn't yield anything productive. :) And just to briefly wander off topic (but it's my thread, so what the hell?), I think unless there is a recent thread on the subject, starting a new one is more productive, as information in older threads is often out of date and creates long threads from which it can be difficult to extract the information you want. Threads opened more often on the same subject may seem like a bad idea initially, but it would keep the forum fresh and friendly. If we dicussed everything once and closed it, new members wouldn't be posting anything and the forum would stagnate somewhat. The TT forum (IMHO) better than here, simply because the content was less diluted and people opened threads and re-discussed topics regularly, keeping the data fresh (and having new members add their experiences), without having to rake through pages of posts. If you did a search, you found the most recent info, and could work backwards if you wanted.

Just my 2p worth.

Pete

·
Registered
295 Posts
TT_Convert said:
Agree that on a new car, this shouldn't be the case, but they seem to have their own personalities, manifesting themselves in all sorts of ways! Not sure about the petrol...although I try to fill with Optimax most of the time, I used BP Ultimate last time, but it was all but a full tank, so this shouldn't make any difference.

I do try and search for info, but "second time start" or similar combinations didn't yield anything productive. :) And just to briefly wander off topic (but it's my thread, so what the hell?), I think unless there is a recent thread on the subject, starting a new one is more productive, as information in older threads is often out of date and creates long threads from which it can be difficult to extract the information you want. Threads opened more often on the same subject may seem like a bad idea initially, but it would keep the forum fresh and friendly. If we dicussed everything once and closed it, new members wouldn't be posting anything and the forum would stagnate somewhat. The TT forum (IMHO) better than here, simply because the content was less diluted and people opened threads and re-discussed topics regularly, keeping the data fresh (and having new members add their experiences), without having to rake through pages of posts. If you did a search, you found the most recent info, and could work backwards if you wanted.

Just my 2p worth.

Pete
Whoah there Pete - Chill out dude, I think you may have taken my last post the wrong way - I was merely suggesting that I had seen something similar in a previous post and to check it to see what they were saying - I didn't say you shouldn't start a new thread.

I had a look in 'Faults and Fixes' and found the thread I was talking about - starting problems relating to petrol. I have attached the link below.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60367&highlight=starting

Hope this helps ;)

Cheers, LB.

·
Registered
646 Posts
TT_Convert said:
Agree that on a new car, this shouldn't be the case, but they seem to have their own personalities, manifesting themselves in all sorts of ways! Not sure about the petrol...although I try to fill with Optimax most of the time, I used BP Ultimate last time, but it was all but a full tank, so this shouldn't make any difference.<clip>
Pete
Not even going to get into the new/old post thing. But on the fuel issue, I just run US (Midwest Regional) spec regular unleaded and my car runs great. Yeah, I do understand that the knock sensor may be shutting down performance a bit if it starts to, but it runs well enough for me, and to get back on topic, starts on the first twist of the key.

Regards,

Dave

·
iPod. Do you?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No worries, LB - didn't mean it to come across negative - rather more of a musing, if you will (or maybe you won't? ;) ). People do tend to just go "do a search", and as a relative newbie, it does start to grate a little (a profuse and genuine "sorry", if I let it show) - as if I do not, but can't always find the correct terminology. Ho hum.

Ref the above thread, maybe is is related to the change from Optimax to BP Ultimate, which are 98 and 97 RON respectively. If it is, this would be something of a relief, but at least the problem seems to be known and not a symptom of something more serious.

In short, thanks very much for all the help
Pete

·
Registered
295 Posts
TT_Convert said:
No worries, LB - didn't mean it to come across negative - rather more of a musing, if you will (or maybe you won't? ;) ). People do tend to just go "do a search", and as a relative newbie, it does start to grate a little (a profuse and genuine "sorry", if I let it show) - as if I do not, but can't always find the correct terminology. Ho hum.

Ref the above thread, maybe is is related to the change from Optimax to BP Ultimate, which are 98 and 97 RON respectively. If it is, this would be something of a relief, but at least the problem seems to be known and not a symptom of something more serious.

In short, thanks very much for all the help
Pete
Thats cool :cool:

I've taken my car back to the dealers twice with this problem and they still can't find where the fault lies. In the meantime I've just been turning the ignition foward to the accessory position and leaving it for a few seconds before starting it up. If you listen you should be able to hear the fuel pump priming (whirring noise) which lasts for a few seconds - once this has stopped it should start fine.

Just one of those things I guess.

Cheers, LB.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It may be the fuel pump but I still believe it's software related. Back in '02 we all had the "cold start problem" where it would take a minimum of 2 times to start from cold. It would idle rough from a cold start as well - this is definitely software related. When they updated my software, it all went away instantly. Now, a few weeks ago, they updated again and the rough idle is back but it starts on the first try. As I said before (and others have also), each MINI will find a version that will work. Sometimes, updating will bring back problems so find the one that's right for your MINI and stick with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hope this helps. Mine has been in and out of the dealers about 10 times. I was more or less called a liar because it always seemed to start when the dealer had the car. (typical).To cut a long story short i changed to a different dealers. I now have a car that runs perfectly.
It was an electrical problem, they said they put in new wiring loom or looms and did some work with the fuses!!
The garage i have changed to have been fantastic and am i sure if you need it they would give me more info on what they did.

Claire

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
Running lower grade petrol may just help. Higher octane is more difficult to ignite (runs smoother), lower octane wants to burt into flame - and will cold-start more easily. Worth a try for a couple of tanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
lespurgeon
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing