MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
any day now....
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im wondering about the "secret compartment". My (soon to be delivered :D) March 2007 model does not have it. I am reading all sorts of conflicting information, that on these cars it was simply 'screwed', glued or even velcro'd shut. I've also heard of the US recall to retro-fit, BMW say it can be done and it certinaly has been done on US spec, LHD cars. But service at Woodman's said it could not be done. I know the CD changer can be retrofitted, so surely this can be too? By now I am thoroughly confused.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation - it would be the ideal place to keep my iPod stashed out of sight.

Cheers for any help,
Brian.

·
Forgotten...
53,660 Posts
Ive had 1 with and 1 without, never used it :rolleyes:
Mine doesn't have one as I have the CD changer, not sure if I had one I would use it..

I believe that some people with the Ipod interface have it connected in the secret compartment - keeps your Ipod out of sight! :D Though someone, please correct me if I'm wrong :eek:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Both the latest minis ive had had it - Never used it

too small to fit my sunglasses case in it

+ you leave your greasy fingerprints on cover each time you open it i have piano black trim

waste of time IMO

·
any day now....
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, mixed reviews then. The only reason I wanted it was to put the iPod in there and keep it out of sight but also keep it from getting damaged in the glovebox. As others say, it is too small for anything other than that.

Mine was registered in March 07, so would probably have been built Jan or Feb 07, I think. Interestingly in the instructions for the iPod kit BMW direct that once fitted the compartment should be taped or velcro'd shut! Very strange.

Brian.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use mine to hide the GPS and a small Kodak digital camera. My GPS is a 4.5" Screen and that with the charger fit very well inthere and then the camera sits in front of them.

Very useful extra space area that is not visible to the unknowing.

P.S. the mount get stuck under the passenger seat.

·
any day now....
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cover on cars without storage is held on with pop clips & can be removed no problem
Cheers Mikey always the best person to ask about these things- so the compartment is there all I should have to do is a bit of dismantling?

Brian.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
The compartment isn't there as in a neet trimmed area - but if you pull the dash panel off you will find a metal hole (plenty of room for hiding our modules ;) )
To do the retro fit you would then need to buy the insert, hinges & new cover from Mini.

·
Registered
26 Posts
MIne is a R56 08 model. I picked up my car in Sep 08.

However, there is NO secret compartment. I wanna make one for my car. Any idea?

·
any day now....
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll certainly let you know how I get on.
Castle MINI seem to think it might be possible to do it, however they need to clarify exactly what parts are needed and how much labour this might be. BMW technical told me it could be done, need to ask dealer for prices though.

Brian.

·
any day now....
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So- the dealer got back to me about the compartment £300 for parts and labour. the iPod is going in the glovebox! Might do it myself at some point, but there are other, much higher priorities.

Brian.

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
ohhh i like to do this to mine...my mum has it in her S and its really useful! perfect size for sat nav...and you would never even know its there!

·
Registered
63 Posts
MIne is a R56 08 model. I picked up my car in Sep 08.

It's only included if the original specification included the 'Storage Pack' option (which also includes elastic nets in the boot and front footwells, and an 12V output in the boot).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts