MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had read a mention of a new engine on this forum, but cannot find it, so I decided post this.

When re-reading a December copy of 'A well known British weekly car magazine' I came across an article which, somehow,I had missed.

It states that BMW has 'A secret plan to develop a small capacity direct injection petrol engine for use in the Mini and forthcoming BMW 2 series' The current engine '--would be replaced by a state of the art engine desinged & produced by BMW by the middle of the decade' '---it is thought to be based on a lightweight magneseum block and feature direct injection for use with low sulpher fuels now being made available across Europe'. '---it will comply with fuel consumption legislation planned to come into force in 2008.' '--it is likely to be offered in 1.2, 1.4 & 1.6 capacities' The article also shows an 'All Red' RH drive 'S', carrying some test equipment, said to be on test in Germany.

GeoffP

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
GeoffP said:
I thought I had read a mention of a new engine on this forum, but cannot find it, so I decided post this.

When re-reading a December copy of 'A well known British weekly car magazine' I came across an article which, somehow,I had missed.

It states that BMW has 'A secret plan to develop a small capacity direct injection petrol engine for use in the Mini and forthcoming BMW 2 series' The current engine '--would be replaced by a state of the art engine desinged & produced by BMW by the middle of the decade' '---it is thought to be based on a lightweight magneseum block and feature direct injection for use with low sulpher fuels now being made available across Europe'. '---it will comply with fuel consumption legislation planned to come into force in 2008.' '--it is likely to be offered in 1.2, 1.4 & 1.6 capacities' The article also shows an 'All Red' RH drive 'S', carrying some test equipment, said to be on test in Germany.

GeoffP

A "RED" S ???!!!......I'd like to see that!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I'm definitely no expert on this matter, but I do know that the current MINI engine was developed by Chrysler, so its a pretty safe bet that BMW will be working on their own version as soon as their contract with Chrysler runs out. I know there are plenty of other people around here that know a lot more about this than I do, so I'll let them fill you in on the details, hehe...

PigLick

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
The current MINI engine isn't a 'Chrysler' engine, it's a BMW/Chrysler joint project. BMW didn't leave it to Chrysler to do all the work. The engine has also been further developed by BMW/Ricardo engineers, in particular the 'S' engine which is a very different beast to the Cooper and One's.

I've seen photo's of an all red Cooper S before, but not sure where.

If it was that 'top secret' how would they know?

An ever sceptical, Paul

:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Basil said:

A "RED" S ???!!!......I'd like to see that!!!
Here it is.

Sorry about the quality, and the doctoring. The original is not a good representation of Chili Red, if that's what it is. More of a brick red.

This car seems to be a 'Black Trim 'version. Intercooler intake, headlight trims, side 'S' decal and possibly filler cap all in black.

Any ideas what is being tested by the light shining on the road in front of the car? Gas leaks? Road friction? Suspension movement? 'Fifth wheel' speed measuring device???????????

GeoffP

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, Paul, as the Mini expert, you are correct. I have checked the magazine I took if from, and see that it's dated Dec 2000, not 2001.
However, I'm sure many members wont have seen it before.

It seems surprising that BMW were testing a replacement engine more than 6 months before the first Tritec powered models were available. If true, they can't have been happy with the Tritec even then. The article which I quoted earlier in this thread states that ' The (Tritec ) engine is cheap to produce but technically deficient by BMW standards '

GeoffP

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Thanks for posting the Red "S". I would not be overse to black chrome around the headlights or grill on the production model. Looks rather nice.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The Tritec engine is claimed (on BMW's website) to be "state of the art" and meets future emission standards (through 2005 I think it said). Their contract with Tritec runs out in a few years and one story I saw said they were looking at a replacement, designed in Germany and maybe manufactured in England.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:

I've seen photo's of an all red Cooper S before, but not sure where......

:)

I hope you havn't forgotten about thinking just where it was you saw those pictures Paul !!!

;)

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
No other current BMW engine will fit in the MINI, so IF they are planning a new engine it would further increase their already huge development costs. The MINI will (so say people at MINI) make a profit in it's product lifetime, certainly in the next five years, the costs of developing another new engine would put a serious dent in this profit margin.

The diesel engine will be a Toyota unit, and I think (personally) it is very unlikely the MINI will get a new petrol engine for some time yet, unless they swap it for another non-BMW developed engine.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Grrr. I don't care, my MINI needs more power! (Captain Jean Luke Picard's voice) :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't suspose the light is so the MINI can follow the white lines in the middle of the road and avoid drifting to the left!!!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts