MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi TVRman. Your car looks terrific. Can't wait to get mine - hopefully within the next week.
Have you and Racer had any ideas on car security? I am considering using a 'DiskLock' steering wheel lock.
Also still looking up options for track insurance; have you arranged any?
 

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
Joined
·
562 Posts
Hi Stephen

Ta - I would've gone for metallic green too, like yours, (my last three cars have all been that colour) but I figured I'd be needing some respraying at some stage and a flat colour seemed a good idea. I reckon yours will look pretty cool...have fun!

Security: won't blab too much, but suffice to say mine's always on the road or in the garage. And anyway, I have a hard enough job figuring out the electrical cutout malarkey myself (switching it back on, it seems a bit temperamental), so I can't see a tealeaf getting anywhere. Racer has the same problem, so it might be something we all have to live with. Anyway, I reckon a hefty crooklock-type thing should do it.

Insurance: Apparently Competition Car Insurance are creating a scheme spesh for the JCC, so it may be worth having a word. Mine's insured with them anyway, and I'm hoping the rates they've quoted will come down once they've sorted the scheme out. As it is, they're saying £600 a race! I wouldn't like to say what they'll charge you for road use - my premium was £556 and I'm 37 with 5 years NCB!

Quick question: did you insure your previous racecar? Did you have any prangs on track?

Hope all this helps.

Cheers

Andy exTVRman <sob>
 

·
Blast from the past !
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
StephenJohnCampbell said:
Hi TVRman. Your car looks terrific. Can't wait to get mine - hopefully within the next week.
Have you and Racer had any ideas on car security? I am considering using a 'DiskLock' steering wheel lock.
Also still looking up options for track insurance; have you arranged any?
Stephen

I used TL Clowes who charged me £640 for road - 35yr - 8 yrs NCB - Apparently they were setting up a scheme for on track but now seem to have pulled out !! - Their road cover is with Norwich Union

Let us know how you get on

TVRman are you exTVRman yet ?
 

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
Joined
·
562 Posts
Re: Re: Security and insurance

Racer said:


Stephen

I used TL Clowes who charged me £640 for road - 35yr - 8 yrs NCB - Apparently they were setting up a scheme for on track but now seem to have pulled out !! - Their road cover is with Norwich Union

Let us know how you get on

TVRman are you exTVRman yet ?
Racer knows this, but when I approached TLC they passed me on to CCI as they're not too interested in doing it any more...

Just waiting for the banker's draft to clear, then yes I am exTVRman - :( and :) I can't decide...

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TVRman said:

Quick question: did you insure your previous racecar? Did you have any prangs on track?
No I did not insure my previous racecar becuase the excess was too high.
I did have quite a serious accident at Cadwell Park in 2000. It was my first T-Car meeting of the year and I 'smashed up' the front end of the car when I misjudged a tight hairpin and hit the tyre wall. Fortunately that was the only serious prang I had, but in my view thats one too many!

SCampbell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,722 Posts
StephenJohnCampbell said:


No I did not insure my previous racecar becuase the excess was too high.
I did have quite a serious accident at Cadwell Park in 2000. It was my first T-Car meeting of the year and I 'smashed up' the front end of the car when I misjudged a tight hairpin and hit the tyre wall. Fortunately that was the only serious prang I had, but in my view thats one too many!

SCampbell
is this going to be your race car aswell as everyday car :confused: :confused:
It must cost you a packet on insurance :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More on track insurance

Hi Racer & ex-TVRman

I have received a quote for on event Accident Damage Cover from Egger Lawson.
They quote £490 premium per qualifying & Race, £150 per Speed Event and £221 per Test/Track day. This is for £12,000 cover with a £2000 excess.
The excess is a bit hard to swallow, but I suppose it could be considered good value in the event of a write-off!
Still chasing quotes, but it may be an idea to at least insure for the circuit races since there are to be up to 25 cars on the grid and a high risk of contact! What do you think?

Stephen
 

·
Blast from the past !
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
Re: More on track insurance

StephenJohnCampbell said:
Hi Racer & ex-TVRman

I have received a quote for on event Accident Damage Cover from Egger Lawson.
They quote £490 premium per qualifying & Race, £150 per Speed Event and £221 per Test/Track day. This is for £12,000 cover with a £2000 excess.
The excess is a bit hard to swallow, but I suppose it could be considered good value in the event of a write-off!
Still chasing quotes, but it may be an idea to at least insure for the circuit races since there are to be up to 25 cars on the grid and a high risk of contact! What do you think?

Stephen
Stephen

My feeling would be that for the first few track races at least you have one make cars all arriving at bend one at roughly the same time + many inexperienced drivers -

Every season at least one novice writes a car of on the first bend of his first race! and I reckon if we can all find a quote with lower excess it's definitely worth it for 3 races ie this seasons track stuff -

I can't belive that with 25 people this can't be done cheaper(many years ago I worked in the insurance market and placed some horrendous risks but quotes were kept cheap by the pure nature that 25 written off cars in one race is a near impossibility but 25 premiums should pay for one car etc..) I think our best bet is to try and get more people interested

Regards

Racer
 

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
Joined
·
562 Posts
Re: More on track insurance

StephenJohnCampbell said:
Hi Racer & ex-TVRman

I have received a quote for on event Accident Damage Cover from Egger Lawson.
They quote £490 premium per qualifying & Race, £150 per Speed Event and £221 per Test/Track day. This is for £12,000 cover with a £2000 excess.
The excess is a bit hard to swallow, but I suppose it could be considered good value in the event of a write-off!
Still chasing quotes, but it may be an idea to at least insure for the circuit races since there are to be up to 25 cars on the grid and a high risk of contact! What do you think?

Stephen
Hmmm...bit different to what I've been quoted by Eggar Lawson (CCI's real name) - some higher, some lower. I have:

Races:
Value £16k, Excess £2k, Premium £629
Value £10k, Excess £1.5k, Permium £478

Speed Events:
Value £16k, Excess £2k, Premium £103
Value £12.5k, Excess £1k, Premium £75
Value £10k, Excess £1k, Premium £59

I didn't get a quote for the trackday, or for £12.5k value in the races for some reason. Looks like the race premiums are similarish, but my quotes for the speed events are a fair bit lower - in fact, half what you've been quoted.

To replace the car (if it is a write-off), the replacement value's going to have to be nearer the £16k figure though isn't it?

Mind you, I reckon Racer & I will only have each other to bash into as the rest of the field hacks off into the distance anyway! :D

Andy
 

·
Blast from the past !
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
Re: Re: More on track insurance

TVRman said:


Mind you, I reckon Racer & I will only have each other to bash into as the rest of the field hacks off into the distance anyway! :D

Andy
Check out Circuit Drive Thrus the circuit drive thrus in a radical - You may decide that we would be better of having a game of poker in the paddock and toss a coin to see which position we may have finished - I thought they looked like they were speeded up but my b-in-law assures me otherwise:)
 

·
Blast from the past !
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
Re: Re: More on track insurance

TL Clowes have confirmed today that they WILL be offering cover on track - OK so recap is (perhaps moderator could put this in FAQ if they see it) for this season

Races
CCI -
EL -Value 16K - XS 2K - Prem £629
TLC - Value 14K - XS 2K - Prem £490

Speed Events

CCI -
EL - Value 16K - XS 2K - Prem £103
TLC - Value 14K - XS 2K - Prem £150

Test / Track Day

CCI - Unknown
EL - Unknown
TLC - Value 14K - XS 2K - Prem £221


Andy / Stephen fill in the gaps if you can and we can keep this upto date for future ref / should anybody else bother to come to mini2!!!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top