MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked at pictures of Mr.Cooper's nice new MINI and realized I haven't seen or heard anything for a while about the flashing LED on the tip of the wiper stalk.

Will MINIs bound for the US get the security flashing LED?

Or is only part of a dealer-fitted alarm?

(click thumbnail for a larger image)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
The MINI in the pciture has the alarm fitted, its the red LED at the end of the wiper stalk ;)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
So, if the blinking light is located on the tip of one of the control stalks, what is this blinking light on the middle of the dash for?

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is it a light? I thought that was the sensor for the automatic climate control. Damn I wish I'd gone for that over the manual a/c.....

kjs

·
Registered
560 Posts
I like the BWM placement under the rear view mirror better. It's visible from all directions.

I haven't seen much information about the alarm. It wasn't in the USA brochure.
How much does it cost?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I aint seen that before :eek: :eek: :eek:
But then again I aint gone for Air-con :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
334 Posts
BrantV said:
I like the BWM placement under the rear view mirror better. It's visible from all directions.

I haven't seen much information about the alarm. It wasn't in the USA brochure.
How much does it cost?
wait till you see it in the flesh though.... Can't remember hgow much the alarm was in the UK, but can't remember it being too expensive.

kjs

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:

That's a climate control sensor, why it looks reddish I don't know!

:)
Oh, good to know. That's where a lot of cars have thier blinky-light thing, and being a sort of red-tinted plastic, I'd figured it was the security light.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Is the alarm a dealer-fit or a factory-fit option?

I wanted it, but I've just ordered my Cooper S, and it's not on the list of factory options available on an April build car.

Maybe it's comming, or maybe it's not available in Canada. Stupider things have happened. For example, we don't get the option of a cold weather pack! That's a bit daft.

Anyways, I'm hoping the alarm is dealer-fit.

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
I've heard that the US Federal goverment require an alarm system on cars that cost a certain amount. (May be true, or may be an urban legend) I don't know if the MINI is in that category, but I hope it's included, just the same.

Chip H.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I spoke with my dealer on Saturday after he returned from S.F. The alarm will be a dealer installed option in the U.S. He also told me that there were MANY dealer installed options available (why doesn't that surprise me?) More info should be forthcoming.

Tom

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
That's a climate control sensor, why it looks reddish I don't know!

:)
AFAIK it's because it's an IR sensor to see how much heat the car is getting from sunshine coming in through the windscreen (hence it's placement). IR sensors have tinted covers to act as a filter so that they are most sensitive in a particular wavelength. Look at the window covering the transmitter and receiver of a remote control on a TV or something and you'll see the same thing.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
GadgetGav said:
AFAIK it's because it's an IR sensor to see how much heat the car is getting from sunshine coming in through the windscreen (hence it's placement). IR sensors have tinted covers to act as a filter so that they are most sensitive in a particular wavelength. Look at the window covering the transmitter and receiver of a remote control on a TV or something and you'll see the same thing.
Yup, correct. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts