MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are seeing more and more Minis going missing, through Key theft.
60% of cars stolen in the UKlast year were done so with the keys
90% of cars under 3 years old were stolen with the keys.
This is due to the excellent immobilisers fitted to all new cars
We have all heard the tales of keys being taken from hall tables etc but the scumbags are getting braver - coming into bedrooms & threatening people in car parks. - the police advise not to resist - at the end of the day its not worth risking your life for a piece of metal
The most recent case I have seen was a M3 with a hidden cut out switch - the thief showed him a knife and told him to get it started :(.
People on here have varying opinions on tracking systems - I will do a special deal on them but my favourite system is not a tracker;
Anti Hook & Cane/Car Jack device
Basically you carry a small transponder (not on keyring) There is no visible sign in the car of the system.
Provided the transponder is within 20m of the car - all is fine.
If the car is stolen from your house or you are carjacked then once the car gets 20m away it realises that something is wrong but stays quiet. It then waits for a time then bleeps, stops the engine (in a safe way) & puts the hazards on.
The time delay is so the thief is away from you so you can call the police & get yourself away from the danger area.
The system comes with 2 transponders
Normal price £299 Mini2 price £275Fitted (the system takes 1/2 day to fit)
Trackers
We do the RAC trackstar plus system - this system allows the car to be tracked in real time by satelite. The system arms automatically if the car is moved without the keys, or can be activated by a phone call if the keys are taken.
Normal £449 - Mini2 price £419 fitted (monitoring extra)
Or the new Trackstar Keyguard system - comes with a transponder, if the car is taken without the transponder then the tracking system kicks off
Normal £949 - Mini2 price £879 fitted (monitoring extra)

Any questions fire away

·
Registered
203 Posts
Definitely interested in the hook and cane device Mikey - put me down for one. Not sure when I will next be down to get it fitted - but will sort something out. Got a couple of other things I wouldnt mind you looking at for me anyway - so would be worth the journey

·
Registered
700 Posts
That's a big price, and IMHO a waste of money. 949 is $1,760 or so U.S. at today's exchange rate, about the same price as an aero kit!

If folks are afraid enough about key theft to spend that much for security, maybe it would be safer to run like hell the next time you're confronted with a knife? Or, just say no?

Is robbery of keys that widespread in the UK?

·
All White
468 Posts
I'd be interested in the hook & cane one Mikey, but don't get the new car 'til January. Buy now, fit later? There'll be some other stuff I want too once I get the car :D

Rob

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Another excellent initiative, Mikey. If I ever take Minerva to the UK, I'll be sure to look you up......

Keep up the good work!

Ian

·
Hillbilly boy
1,214 Posts
oRb said:
I'd be interested in the hook & cane one Mikey, but don't get the new car 'til January. Buy now, fit later? Rob

I am in the same boat Mikey, i dont get mine until December.. will this offer still be valid?

very interested in the Hook & Cane device

Billy

·
Registered
362 Posts
vagt6 said:
Car theft is very common in the UK. Something like 1.5% of cars get stolen per year. The government says that it is nothing to do with the fact that there are minimal punishments.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_car_the_cap

On the hook and cane device, what is "stops the engine (in a safe way)" ?

I know that the Home Office doesn't think that the owner should be allowed to stop the engine if the poor little thief is acually driving, as he might strain a finger or worse if the power steering dies. As a result of this most excellent recomendation, some systems will only stop the engine from being restarted once the ignition has been turned off for a minute or more, which means once the thief has got the car where he wants it.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This system doesn't require the engine to be turned off in order for it to cut in, it will stop the car 'in a safe way' (I have tested this feature) . Don't like to give too much away on the net - Minis are being targeted at the moment who knows where thieves look for info???:(
It is not recognised yet - insurance companies act quite slowly on this stuff but details have been sent to them.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will hold this open till at least the end of the year.
The last figures I have are that approx 852 cars per day are stolen in the UK !

·
Hillbilly boy
1,214 Posts
mikeythemini said:
I will hold this open till at least the end of the year.
The last figures I have are that approx 852 cars per day are stolen in the UK !
I get the mini around the 10th December so i will be in touch

Billy

·
Joy!
1,333 Posts
vagt6 said:
That's a big price, and IMHO a waste of money. 949 is $1,760 or so U.S. at today's exchange rate, about the same price as an aero kit!

If folks are afraid enough about key theft to spend that much for security, maybe it would be safer to run like hell the next time you're confronted with a knife? Or, just say no?

unlike in the US of A, we aint allowed constitutional rights to own a handgun in our homes, or protect our property by shooting the intruder ;)

I'd b interested, but then again, no chance of getting my key if i had anything to do with it.

police officer "so what happened to this intruder lying here, unconcious?"

"he slipped on my bat officer"

"thats ok then"

hehe.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Suppose it depends on your dealer - mine said nothing, and have done one for one of their customers as a referal
Our work is warrantied

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New Product

I have just received a new product from the company that makes the car jack device
This is a tracking system that is operated by the car owner;
If you text the car then it replies with lat long & speed, a mapping disc of Europe is supplied, so you can type in the coordinates & see the position. (autoroute can also be used)
Then using a series of codes from your mobile you can turn on a loud internal siren, flash the lights or even stop the engine.
Once purchased the only on going cost is the cost of putting a sim card into the unit & texts
If I have time today I will fit one.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts