MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MCS R53 Red and Whitey
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous car was a TVR Cerbera so am used to building my left arm muscles up when changing gear...but my little wife gave the 04MCS a go for the first time tonight and complained how tough it is to get the thing into reverse....I hadn't really thought about it but yeah she is right! you really have to push down hard and yank it over to the left to get it in, she had to use both hands!

Is this a case of "they all do that Sir" or is my reverse gear strangely difficult to engage?

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's not something I have noticed myself, I would have said its too easy to get it into reverse by accident than struggling to do so.

I have a 06 MCS, so not sure if its the revised gearbox that makes mine easier?

·
Andrew ATC
725 Posts
Reverse is a bit harder to select, and rightly so if you think about it ;)
Took a couple of days to get used to mine.

Be firm but fair :D

·
MCS R53 Red and Whitey
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Am I doing it right? you do have to push down first right?

Its going to GTT for a posh upgrade on Tuesday anyway I'll ask them to have a look.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Move the gear stick over as if to select 5/6th and then quickly push it over. You'll feel the stick has quite a lean and won't go down, then push up and it should go into reverse!

·
The wife thinks its hers!
236 Posts
...but my little wife gave the 04MCS a go for the first time tonight and complained how tough it is to get the thing into reverse....
When we were shopping for our MCS my wife just could not get it into reverse at all - no matter how hard she tried. It nearly put us off buying an MCS but we ended up getting one with an automatic box and paddles - and its brilliant!

·
Registered
86 Posts
When we were shopping for our MCS my wife just could not get it into reverse at all - no matter how hard she tried. It nearly put us off buying an MCS but we ended up getting one with an automatic box and paddles - and its brilliant!
Yeah my 52plate MCS is a pain but you do get used to it !

·
Totally Insane!
7,800 Posts
Yes it is a bit harder to select, but just have to push it all the way over to the left, no need to push down on it. It is something that you get used to! :D Although after driving my MCS for almost 3 years I have noticed my left arm muscles have improved!! :p :D :D

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Don't push down on the gear lever!! :eek:

Move the gear lever over to the left, below where first is, then an extra knock over to the left and up will see you in reverse ;)

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
I think the trick is how quick you do it. If you really swift it quickly and firm, it'll fall into reverse easily. I've got an '08 MCS. It was a bit tricky at first, but if you're soft with it (I guess women generally are more so than men), then it's far more difficult.

I'd recommend going left as quick as you can rather than a slower gear movement when going between 1 up 6.

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
There's a definite knack to it, my mum had an 54 plate MCS and the first time I tried to get it in reverse was a pain, but I soon had it sussed out :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
It can be a bit awkward to get them into reverse (to begin with) I found. My mom's 1 Series is the same and she struggles with that too. The best way I described to her was to kind of knock it over and then push it up. No need to push down on the lever:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have an 08 cooper d and i have the same problem, i have to use two hands (i'm a girl, maybe i'm too gentle!) i have a new (company) mini every 4 months and thought at first it was just when they're new & stiff but even after 10,000 miles it's still the same. i'm going to try to do it quicker as suggested and see if it makes a difference

1 - 15 of 15 Posts