MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else here having a bit of trouble getting their MINI into reverse? Most times, mine wont go straight from another gear, and I have to "double de-clutch" to get it into reverse. Not a problem, more of a niggle really. Has anyone else had the same experience??

·
Registered
88 Posts
word up

I also havin the same problem my wife just tells my i cant drive a car :(
But im goin to mention it to bmw on thursday when i go in to moan about the drift left thing

·
Registered
577 Posts
Reverse is not synchronized as opposed to the other gears. As Paul said, try shifting to another gear first. Most of the gearboxes I have seen drive reverse from the third gear cluster. When I have trouble getting my Datsuns into reverse, I just slide it into third to align the gears, then it goes in reverse with no problem. High idle speed can also cause problems getting into reverse. New engines are often set with a higher than normal idle to compensate for tight components. Not sure if this is the case on the MINI since the idle is controlled by the ECU.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
mr.bill said:
Not sure if this is the case on the MINI since the idle is controlled by the ECU.
*jarring chord*...aarrgh..not the evil ECU raising it's wicked little head again?? ;););)

I've had probs getting mine into reverse (maybe once or twice in 4000 miles of driving). A few quick jiggles through the gears usually sets it right, but I think Mr.Bill has a point about the idle as mine only seems to have trouble as soon as you turn the car on when it's idleing a little faster than usual (for a few seconds until it calms down).

Unless you're in a real 'gentlemen to your cars' type rush then you'd probably never notice it?..;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mine was a bit of piggy selecting reverse until I'd managed a few hundred miles - then it mysteriously eased and hasn't been a problem since.
I seem to remember the orig. post reporting something similar.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My car has no problem. You must all be imagining it. Isnt it normal to only go forward?:D

Just kidding. Actually our other MINI has this problem too.
Wait til its as bad as a Lancia Delta Turbo I once owned. It lost 2nd,4th and reverse. I finally came unstuck when it ended nose down towards a brick wall. The slope was too steep to push it back around the right way. The car was brilliant to drive but flawed. By the time it had done 25000 it felt as if it had driven to the Moon and back.

Apart from the reversing niggle and the sadly expected left drift, the car is so far fault free. Things are improving!

·
Registered
350 Posts
engaging reverse tip

I have found the same thing with my pride n joy.
alternative solution: If it doesn't go straight in, bring the clutch up slowly while applying gentle pressure to the gear lever and it should slip into gear without any trouble(such as double decluthing or trying every other gear first)

......unless my car is just different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts