MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I would like to share opinions about having a MC. I just bought a lovely MC chili red & white. Everything was just great until my girlfriend ride it and star to send me subliminal messages like: is too small! , would we fit in thar small thing?? it is obvius that she wanted me to buy a SUV or a bigger car since we have a 1 year old little baby. I guess this is matters of buy a second car. Am I too selfish for buying a MC? it was my whole life dream came true and I dont want to even think of get ride off it. Have any of you have passed thru these kind of situation ? thx in advanced.

aLdini

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
How much extra room do you need?
A MINI seats 4 with some storage in the boot.
There should be plenty of room for you, your girlfriend, and that baby.
Additional room and metal is unnecessary and wasteful.
I carry an 11-year-old, a 5-year-old, and a 4-year-old with no trouble.
Tell your girlfriend to simplify and stop thinking bigger is better.
Smaller is more fun.
And when she hits you with the argument that a bigger vehicle is safer in an accident, point out that MINIs are designed with better structural stiffness and more safety features and are agile enough to avoid accidents instead of cause them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i dont think it's too small, but what i figured is that most family's have two cars. So if you guys need to go somewhere that you need more space, just take her car and when you don't, take yours. I dont understand why there would be a situation.

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
Woman's point of view:

When hubby bought our MINI I was happy, when he was first talking about it I was not...thought it was too small, that the big SUVs over here in the states would crush him, etc. He took me on a test drive at the dealership and did something I thought was dangerous, I was even more mad. :mad:

Drove one myself and fell in love :p That was 2 years ago, he's got me wanting my own, and he's got me autoxing now :p

Offer for her to go out on a fun run shopping trip or out with a friend alone in it, hopefully she'll come around :cool: Maybe the MINI Force will be with her

Good luck, sounds rough

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
My wife could not stand the MINI either. She is still not very crazy about it. I just let her have her way in other areas, that way she leaves me alone about the MINI. I had Christa make the decisions on the house and the furniture. When it was time for her to buy her car, I cringed as we signed the papers for her Ford Explorer.

When I bought my last MINI and when I go buy a Cooper S, she can't complain, since she got her way with the house, furniture and Explorer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Time to be controversial...ladies, can you be convinced?

OK, I have a question...and it is based upon a generalization.

Is it just me, or are women more easily convinced of 'safety' by marketers?

In other words, most marketing which touts safety is actually aimed at women (mothers specifically) and as a result, are women more at risk of being duped? Are women (and families?) being put at risk becuase marketers are exploiting their ignorance in this subject?

I have run into this problem several times, usually when I am trying to explain why an SUV is MORE dangerous than a sedan (AKA saloon?).

When I talk to men about this subject, I can present a factual arguement which outlines why a higher CG, roll moment, tire deflection etc is more dangerous... Admittedly these are tedious points, but at least most will listen (although few will admit ignorance). I can usually convince any man that a car is safer, yet few woman can be convince by logic.

Every time I have tried to present this information to a woman, I usually get a blank stare and then a typical response of 'Its bigger, therefore safer', which is actually and ADVERTISING LINE! (insert viscous grumbling). I have been told that I am an excellent teacher, and I have great personal relationships with women in general, yet somehow I cannot get this point across.

Actually, I'm npt sure that I actually have a point here, I guess I am just frustrated with women not listening to fact, and instead choosing to listen to Ad's.

<grumbling back into the darkness...>

RM :mad:

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
I've always known that SUVs are not as safe as other cars.

What initally scared me was the size difference, I feared getting creamed in the MINI by a big thing, now I just zip by the H2s.

And yes, I agree, the marketing folks push safety (not specifically to women) rather to FAMILIES...

anyway, good luck other halves...btw Willy, I'd take choosing a house and other car for a MINI any day :cool:

·
Mini in Maine
556 Posts
Well if you can afford another car...

aldini said:
Hi all,
I would like to share opinions about having a MC. I just bought a lovely MC chili red & white. Everything was just great until my girlfriend ride it and star to send me subliminal messages like: is too small! , would we fit in thar small thing?? it is obvius that she wanted me to buy a SUV or a bigger car since we have a 1 year old little baby. I guess this is matters of buy a second car. Am I too selfish for buying a MC? it was my whole life dream came true and I dont want to even think of get ride off it. Have any of you have passed thru these kind of situation ? thx in advanced.

aLdini
then certainly buy a more family oriented car. But there are a lot of rather foolish bits of advice if you plan on staying together. Like the one that says keep the mini because what'll she ask you to give up next. Sounds like a single person(and doomed to remain so), or one that's married and is actually hen pecked.

Look it's not a tough thing to decide. Like I said if you have the cash(or she does) then buy another bigger vehicle. Nothing more troublesome than trying to fit all a kids things into a too small car. If you can only afford the one car then you have to think as a family man, not some kid with a toy. Responsibility may suck sometimes, but take it from a father of three grown daughters...it's worth every thing I gave up and don't regret it one bit. I'm 51 and just ordered my Mini. I hope to have it in a few months. It's been worth the wait and I wasn't some selfish selfserving testosterone macho bubba making my family do without so I could indulge myself.

You either want what a family has to offer and you back it up with deeds as well as the words, or not.

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
Buy mini, replace girlfriend. And there is plenty of room for you to keep the kid too.

No, but seriously. The MINI is penty big for a young family. Have your girlfriend drive it. Try a kid seat in the back. Hopefully she will come around.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not About MINI

Fred3 is right...its about deeds not words. Your girlfriend has a list in her head. There's two columns on the list. One column is titled "deeds that show he's going to marry me" and the other column is titled "deeds that show I'm not in his future". To your girlfriend, guess what column the MINI falls into?

Also, as to the marketing stuff...when you hear "logical" facts that smaller maybe better but you look at something that likes look its solid steel and there is a contradiction, wouldn't you choose something that you can tangibly "comprehend" versus intangible "data"? Its hard to ignore the presence of an SUV.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here is a compromise suggestion:

I assume cost of a 2nd (larger) vehicle is an issue.

If so, I would suggest you spend the necessary time to carefully find the best used large sedan or minivan you can find. These cars are low cost when new for the size of the vehicle and usually depreciate quickly. Buy a 3 or 4 year old model with low miles and it should provide reliable, safe family transport for years.

Promise the wife/gf that you will keep the MINI for a long while, and the used vehicle will be the first one replaced when it wears out.

Could this work for you ?

·
kgouin
481 Posts
I personally don't see anything wrong with the size of the MINI if you have just one child. My boyfriend wants to have a child (I am the one up in the air on that one) and I did think about if I were to have a child in the future if the MINI would work. I think as long as both of you aren't 6' tall, there will be room in the back when the child grows up. If I were to have a child, the MINI would be the main family car because my boyfriend has a Ford F250 pickup truck, which he needs for his job, he also has a '78 tbird, which is only driven in the nice weather, and my second vehicle is a Ford Ranger, so the MINI is the only realistic family car. The MINI is also better for the environment then an SUV. :)

·
Grumpometer: OFF SCALE
6,836 Posts
it asll depends where you start from, we had classic mini as only car for 12 years including 2 years with 2 kids and 5 years with one kid, even went camping in it. So new mini seems like a bus in comparison

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.