MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sour Mash
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this may come across to some as a stupid question but I have never sold a car before so this is all new to me. Please bear with me.

I’m looking for some advice on selling my car as I bought a new Mini. Also what do you think my car is worth?

2003 Cooper S R53
140,000 miles
Part service history
Recent supercharger rebuild

Problems that I am being open and honest about in the advert:
Issue with passenger door, it doesn’t open from the outside
Corrosion on 1 alloy

I’ve seen similar mileage and age cars for £1600ish so I’m asking £1,350 to take into account the niggles. Is this reasonable do you think or should I lower my asking price?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
the thing that will put people off is the door one of those things worth sorting, as for mark on alloy its a old car with some miles on it so would just treat that as odd marks as would expect from a car of age and miles, also its very hard to sell a car with a short mot buyers will just think the worst and buy the next car down with a long mot. i have many times had a car all sorted with 7 months mot on it sit there not sell for two months, then i put 12 months on it and sells in first week, also many buyers gauge the car on mot and mot history on line ie advisories are as bad as having short mot,, look at others for sale find the car with 80-100k see what those can be bought for then its a price yours under that allowing for the mileage etc or look for others with that miles see what the sell for on auction, maybe worth sticking on auction on ebay put reserve on it see where it goes

·
Registered
994 Posts
Check price on ebay for similar age/mileage/condition and post what price you would like.

People will always low-ball anyways and keep in mind the minimum price you would accept.

·
Sour Mash
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both for the tips

I have only put it on Exchange and Mart so far. Is that a decent website to use? I chose them as they were £10 compared to Autotrader £55ish

I have a minimum price etc but haven’t had any interest at all not even a low ball offer haha. I listed it on 23rd December. Is it just a case of waiting?

Didn’t know eBay was a good place for cars, I will look into that

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
on ebay and use a classified add option , £20 for 28 days no hidden fees no auction fees and can also change the price when need to and also can add a a make offer box cheapest way for the time span etc, or gumtree its free for one add or can home page it for 14 days for around £20

·
Registered
994 Posts
Just be wary of scam/scammers through ebay etc...

Another option is chucking it in an auction or places like webuyanycar.com if you're not after top notch price.

Or try the MINI forums around, maybe someone might want one a project car/parts out etc...

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
i've sold a lot of cars and just to test the water with webuy any car site , hmmm so a offer or £2000 on a 2010 nissan qashqai with 70k and full dealer history ans was totally mint on all levels i sold that for just over 5k in first week of advert, another car insignia estate on 2012 56k on clock totally faultless car elite spec they offered £2200 same again sold it first week just under 5k, cannot believe people would fall for these car buyer scams rather take chance on ebay to be honest not had any issues in past 20 years of using it, except for the odd scammer thinking they can buy a 5k car for 2k lol,, biggest issue i have found is lies and people thinking i'm not going to hpi a car before going to see it so may people trying to sell a car on finance all over the internet,,

Reactions: Jackdaniel
1 - 8 of 8 Posts