MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
All White
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started to try to sell my One. Only interest so far was from someone offering an amount a couple of hundred below the asking price on behalf of a client. I replied saying that it would be acceptable. Now he's saying that the 'client' will send me a 'check' for an amount well in excess of my asking price - and also a couple of thou' more than I paid for the car new! This is to cover 'pickup & shipping charges'.

A quick google reveals this is a slight variation on a common scam.

I shan't bother replying to him any more, and it sounds like the authorities aren't interested in this sort of thing until a crime is actually committed.

Disappointed that I haven't sold the car though :mad:

Rob

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
so whats the scam? sounds like you're right to walk away from it whatever it is.

i got lucky with a buyer for my car - a fellow M2'er put her onto me & she snapped it up straight away - 1 viewing & it was sold. there are plenty of buyers out there & i still reckon autotrader is your best route

·
All White
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is his last email:

"Rob,
I have spoken to my client and he will send payment.i don't live in
the United Kingdom but will make arrangment for a pickup who lives
there.my client will send check payment in excess of £5,400 into your
bank account which will be needed for pickup and shipping charges.So
when you confirm the payment £14,000 into your account get back so
that i can provide you with the information of the pickup agent who
you will send the difference of £5,400. i hope it is in excellent
condition?
please confirm this and provide the following details for payment to
be made into your account.
1.LEGAL NAME IN FULL
2.ACCOUNT INFORMATION:
3.DIRECT PHONE
"

I'm supposed to bank the cheque & send the excess to the pickup agent, from what I've read I'll be asked to send it by Western Union or in cash. The cheque then bounces leaving me with a substantial hole in my bank balance.

I wonder how many people fall for this sort of thing. How gullible would you have to be to believe there's a real person somewhere in the world prepared to pay £5400 to have a 2 year old Mini One shipped to him?

Rob

Really ought to post an ad in the For Sale forum pretty soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts