MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With just over a month to go until our new MCS Works arrives I've started to consider selling our current MCS. It will be 2 years old in December ('52 reg) and is a Darl Silver, with Chilli Pack and 21k miles.

What's the considered opinion for those of you who have sold an MCS, are dealers offering reasonably attractive prices or is it best to adverstise privately?

Anyone got a view on how much a 2 year old MCS should be worth, considering that it cost us £16.5k originally.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide,

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Steve. My other half works in the motor trade and says your car caps at between 13500 and 14000 depending on condition.

Hope its some use to you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That will be good if we can get anything like that. I was hoping for something more than £12k. I've just sold one of my other cars (an X5 4.6is) that cost us £21k in depreciation over 18 months so I've been softened up to take a hit.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
It really depends on the market. I spoke to a dealer this weekend and he said that sometimes when they are short they have been known to offer around new list price!! (this would be on my s which is a 53 plate built in Jan with 10k miles). However to get this there really has to be a shortage. At current levels they said £15k for mine - bought for 16.5k. So if you pick you time well enough you could up the price by quite a bit! You have some time on your hands b4 your works turns up so i would hold back at the moment??

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
stewpot1979 said:
It really depends on the market. I spoke to a dealer this weekend and he said that sometimes when they are short they have been known to offer around new list price!! (this would be on my s which is a 53 plate built in Jan with 10k miles). However to get this there really has to be a shortage. At current levels they said £15k for mine - bought for 16.5k. So if you pick you time well enough you could up the price by quite a bit! You have some time on your hands b4 your works turns up so i would hold back at the moment??
Hi - I am selling mine in the next 3 weeks. It cost me £17k and have been offered £14k by the dealer. From what you said about £16.5k geeting £15k, then I feel I am being taken advantage of.

Any comments ?

NB. It's for sale in auto trader at £15.5k and i have been contacted by a garage who are willing to sell it on my behalf - for a fee.

CSW.

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
my 03 IB/W with Chilli 14850 miles cost approx £16,300... traded in at £14k

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I obtained a valuation from my dealer today. It seems my car would retail on their forecourt for £15,050 and have a trade value of £14,050. The trade in value would be somewhere around the £13k mark and if I sell it privately they said I should be looking to get around £14,5k.

Looking at the cars for sale on Mini.co.uk that seems about right, most are either higher mileage or without the Chilli Pack. AllI need to do now is decide if it's worth the hassle of selling it privately or just accept a £13k trade-in.

Ho hum, :rolleyes:

p.s. my car is actually a Jan '03 car (my original post was in error) and the mileage of 21,000 is apparently bang on the mileage expected by the Glass' trade guide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well i was offered 15k trade in for my MCS (53 plate Jan 04 with 10000miles). Bought it for 16.5k like i said above. It was mentioned that I would get more if I was to wait till the ‘right time’
It looks like at the moment there must be a few on the market lowering the dealers need for them as i explained above.
I previously had a MINI One Y reg that had done 25k miles. I traded it in for £9050 in Jan 04 so i only lost 2k in three years! I was well pleased. But that was because i just negotiated again and again, and finally said "if you give me that then i will put a deposit down now – oh and throw in some free bonnet stripes!" They jumped on it. Sold, i ended up getting my MCS in two months too which must be a record!
So what i am saying is that, money wise we cant get discounts off of our new minis but you can on trade-ins. Dealers are prepared to only make £100s instead of £1000s on the 2nd hand mini’s because they can sell them on at such a quick rate - hence they are prepared to offer that little bit more for part exchange so they have a stock!
So never accept that first offer especially if you are planning to buy your next mini from them. Use it as you main negotiating tool. If it doest work go somewhere else....it their problem. Just walk away as you will definitely be able to better their first offers. Play the dealers off against each other; they love to steal deals away from their opposition.

It worked a treat from me! Hope this helps

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
A local Reg Vardy Mg/Rover dealer near me has an 03 plate DS/B MCS (without the chilli pack) on the forecourt for £15,995 I doubt it will sell as its currently more than a new one !!!...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts