MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent my specs for my MC in to the dealer today. (I finally decided to get the MC instead of the S. I'm using that extra money towards a new flute!!) They're going to order in a couple of weeks. Am I missing anything important? Should I get an alarm? What about the on-board computer? Not sure if I should just get the premium package since I'm already getting the sunroof and multifunction steering wheel. Also, does anyone use a car cover?

Here are the specs:

My 2005 MINI Cooper
Base MSRP* $16,950
Destination & Handling $550

paint
Chili Red Body Color $0
White Roof/Mirrors $0
Chrome Line Exterior $250
Chrome Mirror Caps INC (I'm changing these to white)

package
Sport Package $1,350
Dynamic Stability Control
Spoiler
16" 5-Stars (Performance Run Flats)
Front Fog Lamps
Sport Seats

performance
Sport Suspension STD
5-Speed Getrag Manual STD
White Alloy Wheels $0

cockpit
Leatherette: Black STD
Chrome Line Interior $200
Int. Surface Silver STD
Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof $850
3-Spoke w/Cruise and Multifunction $250
6-spkr AM/FM CD Player STD

TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $20,400

I'm bummed I can't get a red dash and doors. Does anyone know if I can do that later?

Can't wait!!!!!!! :D

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
Very good spec!

Have you considered an alloy patina dash (see my sig) not to everyones taste I know - some passengers thought I had grease marks on my dashboard! :rolleyes:

Multi Function Steering Wheel worth its weight in gold with stereo and cruise controls. On board computer is fun too and in the UK at least an alarm is a must for insurance purposes even though everyone ignores them when they go off.

Shame about the red interior - good taste - but getting it later would entail ripping out and replacing all interior door panels - not cheap and probably not good for rattle prevention!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi Mary!!! Looks like you've done a great job...you really have everything that's essential (from my perspective) and lots of other good stuff that you'll really enjoy on a regular basis!

The first body-colored dashes were, in fact done by owners after the fact or by dealers upon delivery. So, yes, it can be done and if your heart is set on it...why not? Might cost a bit, though. Raise the issue with your MA and see what happens. Personally (but this is very, very me), unless you're utterly convinced (and some peopel are!), you could just get the car, spend some time with it, look it over, and study your course more carefully. (I've considered lots of mods but so far have actually followed up only on a select few.)

I don't use a car cover even though my MINI has never even seen the inside of a garage. Not that I'm opposed to them...I'm just in and out, in and out too much. Covers must be used carefully to avoid scratches on your MINI's somewhat sensitive paint. I just clean my MINI up a lot (...got me a duster and loads of other detailing goodies). I've heard through the grapevine that the lightweight MINI car covers will leave lots of scratches so I'd avoid those.

Have you considered a clear bra for your MINI? These can be installed by the dealer or aftermarket (sometimes aftermarket has a better product, I hear) and they do save on tiny paint chips that can occur on the front of the bonnet. I didn't get one first time around and, sure enough, even though I just drive around town, some tiny, pin-head sized chips began to appear. My MINI recently got hit (ouch!) and now, with a freshly painted bonnet and bumper, I had the clear bra installed. Shoulda done that the first time around.

Also, I have an OEM alarm. It's good and well integrated into the car/key. I like the little blinkey light on the wiper stalk, too. That said, there are some very good and very sophisticated aftermarket alarms that one could install. I'm happy with my OEM alarm, but if I were to do it over, I'd probably look into other systems(...and maybe even spent a bit more $$$s). No regrets though.

A tip: some of our more knowledgable MAs (and especially our service advisor here) have some very good suggestions for aftermarket vendors and products...people the dealer goes to for special installs who are more MINI-savy than others. Local clubs are also (great fun there) a good source of this kind of info. If you're feeling adventurous and have the time you could hook into these networks for lots of stuff.

In the end, though, having the options you want installed immediately and rolled into your payment is probably the easiest course and, in reality, most of our local owners here do install most everything up front. It's all covered under your warranty, too.

Congrats on speccing a fine, fine MINI and best wishes on "the wait." Wading through the myriad awesome options and waiting....waiting......waiting......waiting...has quite handily undone the sanity of most MINI owners I know. It's sort of an inside joke....but it just makes the day of delivery extra sweet!! :D

John

PS...a new flute....cool! I'm a guitarist and (for daily goofing about) I downsized to a baritone uke simply because it easily fits in my boot (...have to put down a rear seat to get a guitar case in). You won't have that issue, right?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gokartride said:
Hi Mary!!! Looks like you've done a great job...you really have everything that's essential (from my perspective) and lots of other good stuff that you'll really enjoy on a regular basis!

The first body-colored dashes were, in fact done by owners after the fact or by dealers upon delivery. So, yes, it can be done and if your heart is set on it...why not? Might cost a bit, though. Raise the issue with your MA and see what happens. Personally (but this is very, very me), unless you're utterly convinced (and some peopel are!), you could just get the car, spend some time with it, look it over, and study your course more carefully. (I've considered lots of mods but so far have actually followed up only on a select few.)

I don't use a car cover even though my MINI has never even seen the inside of a garage. Not that I'm opposed to them...I'm just in and out, in and out too much. Covers must be used carefully to avoid scratches on your MINI's somewhat sensitive paint. I just clean my MINI up a lot (...got me a duster and loads of other detailing goodies). I've heard through the grapevine that the lightweight MINI car covers will leave lots of scratches so I'd avoid those.

Have you considered a clear bra for your MINI? These can be installed by the dealer or aftermarket (sometimes aftermarket has a better product, I hear) and they do save on tiny paint chips that can occur on the front of the bonnet. I didn't get one first time around and, sure enough, even though I just drive around town, some tiny, pin-head sized chips began to appear. My MINI recently got hit (ouch!) and now, with a freshly painted bonnet and bumper, I had the clear bra installed. Shoulda done that the first time around.

Also, I have an OEM alarm. It's good and well integrated into the car/key. I like the little blinkey light on the wiper stalk, too. That said, there are some very good and very sophisticated aftermarket alarms that one could install. I'm happy with my OEM alarm, but if I were to do it over, I'd probably look into other systems(...and maybe even spent a bit more $$$s). No regrets though.

A tip: some of our more knowledgable MAs (and especially our service advisor here) have some very good suggestions for aftermarket vendors and products...people the dealer goes to for special installs who are more MINI-savy than others. Local clubs are also (great fun there) a good source of this kind of info. If you're feeling adventurous and have the time you could hook into these networks for lots of stuff.

In the end, though, having the options you want installed immediately and rolled into your payment is probably the easiest course and, in reality, most of our local owners here do install most everything up front. It's all covered under your warranty, too.

Congrats on speccing a fine, fine MINI and best wishes on "the wait." Wading through the myriad awesome options and waiting....waiting......waiting......waiting...has quite handily undone the sanity of most MINI owners I know. It's sort of an inside joke....but it just makes the day of delivery extra sweet!! :D

John

PS...a new flute....cool! I'm a guitarist and (for daily goofing about) I downsized to a baritone uke simply because it easily fits in my boot (...have to put down a rear seat to get a guitar case in). You won't have that issue, right?
Hey John!

Thank for your great advice. I appreciate you taking the time to give it!

I'm glad you told me about the car cover and the clear bra. How else would I know unless I asked experienced Mini drivers??!! I will definitely get a clear bra. Where did you get yours? And does anyone else know if the one Mini installs is a good one? I'm definitely not getting a cover!

As for the red dash, Maxx had a good point about potential rattling. I hate rattling! Wonder if I should take a chance? The red dash and door look SO cool though. I even thought about going with the MCS just for that reason! But, I do want to get a new flute and they are big $$$$. Has anyone had a colored dash installed after market?

Sorry for my ignorance but what is an OEM alarm? I do want to get an alarm but haven't read much about them on the boards. Maybe I should do some fishing around and read up on them.

Thanks again John for your input. I welcome any and all to give theirs too!!

Mary

P.S. Cool that you play guitar! Do you play with any bands or groups?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MaxxUK said:
Very good spec!

Have you considered an alloy patina dash (see my sig) not to everyones taste I know - some passengers thought I had grease marks on my dashboard! :rolleyes:

Multi Function Steering Wheel worth its weight in gold with stereo and cruise controls. On board computer is fun too and in the UK at least an alarm is a must for insurance purposes even though everyone ignores them when they go off.

Shame about the red interior - good taste - but getting it later would entail ripping out and replacing all interior door panels - not cheap and probably not good for rattle prevention!
Maxx- nice Mini!! I have seen the alloy patina dash. It's really cool! I really like chrome though and I think the silver with the chrome line interior looks great.

Do you think it's worth it to spend the extra $250 to add the premium package for the on board computer?

Parc77 - what are revolving number plates?!!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Mary

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
MaryFlute said:
Do you think it's worth it to spend the extra $250 to add the premium package for the on board computer?
Spending the $250 extra for the Premium Package would give you both Auto A/C ($300) and OBC ($200) ;)

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Looks like a great car - have you considered the anthracite dash? Have it on my CR/W Cooper and love it, and have also seen anthracite with the chrome line interior - great contrast and a better combo than silver/chrome to me.
The clear bra is a good addition, I got the dealer to install and it's a good job. Have had a clear bra on our Volvo for 8+ years and has not yellowed nor peeled. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I definitely agree with you on the red dash....its a stunner!! One US owner painted her dash Indi Blue long before it became an option on MINIs. I think her dealer did it...not sure on the cost though. She's a member on NAM (northamericanmotoring.com)....PM me for details. The doors are complicated, too, but they CAN be done. The ring, tubes and door panel are all fused together as one piece from what I understand. You'd think you could just unbolt the parts, but no. Painting would mean separating these pieces and then re-fusing the pieces (I've heard hot glue works) after the paint job is done. Some diehards have undertaken the project. In the end, expense/hassle -wise, I expect the simplest thing would be to adjust to the colors available on your Cooper. One great thing is that once you're motoring, the little things we obsess over as we're ordering (perfectly normal, I say) tend to fade away because actually driving about in your MINI is about as good as it gets. The other stuff kinda fades away. (I personally obsessed over toggles...I only have four and wanted six. Now.....I could care less! :D )

Most owners I know have it the clear bra installed by dealer when the car arrives. I didn't consider this it 'til much later, so I went aftermarket. There are different grades (3M product is best I hear) but in the end, if I were to do it over, I'd just let the dealer do it and be done with it. They'll stand behind their install, I'd think, and, to be honest, clear bras appear to be very difficult to install on MINIs with all those sumptuous curves on the bonnet. For my aftermarket install, the vendor (here in Arlington, Texas) went through three bonnet pieces before they got it (close to :rolleyes: ) right.

The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) alarm is the one sold by MINI...the dealer installs it. I like it and it works with my MINI key. Now some aftermarket units have pretty sophisticated technology, but I'm satisfied with the MINI alarm. It has motion sensors, tilt sensors, (and other stuff I've forgotten) and is very loud when activated. The motion sensors even protect your MINI if the windows are open. (...my son and I found that out the hard way. :D) I think the newer OEM alarm both chirps and flashes its lights when its armed....my '03 version doesn't chirp but the lights flash. Plus....I do like that red blinky light on the stalk. (...I did however see an MCS at the dealer with a blue LED for an unknown alarm system mounted in a blank toggle position. Hmmmmm......very intriguing!!! :cool:

Hope this helps you out a bit. Either way, your MINI will be SUPER!!
John

Oh...and although I have played for many years, these days my kids (23,21,19,17) are the ones who just seem to cart off my instruments...with impunity! They're so good...writing some awesome stuff and doing little gigs here and there...each going their separate ways, of course. I don't really go public anymore unless they make me. My creaky old fingers can't keep up like they used to, but I love watching them go at it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
MINNOW said:
have you considered the anthracite dash? Have it on my CR/W Cooper and love it, and have also seen anthracite with the chrome line interior - great contrast
I agree, its a stunning look.....fantastic!!! Anthracite is classy, understated....very cool. Silver (to me anyway) is just happy. Depends what you prefer...but anthracite is well worth considering. VERY nice!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MINNOW said:
Looks like a great car - have you considered the anthracite dash? Have it on my CR/W Cooper and love it, and have also seen anthracite with the chrome line interior - great contrast and a better combo than silver/chrome to me.
The clear bra is a good addition, I got the dealer to install and it's a good job. Have had a clear bra on our Volvo for 8+ years and has not yellowed nor peeled. :)

Actually, I made a point of going to the Mini dealer yesterday to look at the anthracite and the silver dash to see which I liked better. I did like the anthracite with the chrome a lot too. But, since I'm getting black leatherette, I thought the silver would brighten it up a bit more inside. I thought the anthracite might be a bit dark. I guess I'll have to think about this some more. Actually, I guess I'll have to "obsess" about this some more!! Why do Mini's do this to us??? :)

John, thanks again for your advice (and everyone else too). I'm going to take it and get the bra installed at the dealer and the alarm too. Do it and be done with it, right?

Oh, can I get white mirror covers installed at the dealership too? I'm getting chrome line exterior but I don't care for the chrome mirrors as much as the white. I think it's a little more balanced with white roof, white mirrors and white wheels.

I just can't wait. This is going to drive me crazy. Everytime I see a CR/W Mini driving around, I go nuts!

I guess I need to make a list of changes now so I can be ready when the MA contacts me at order time!!

Mary

P.S. John, wow you have 4 kids! I'm amazed at anyone who has more than 1 (that's what we have)!! That's great that they're so talented musically and that you encourage them so much. My parents really encouraged me too and that's what really helped me become a professional musician!

·
Registered
284 Posts
MaryFlute said:
I thought the silver would brighten it up a bit more inside. I thought the anthracite might be a bit dark.

I'm getting chrome line exterior but I don't care for the chrome mirrors as much as the white. I think it's a little more balanced with white roof, white mirrors and white wheels.
I think you're right about that silver interior. I sometimes think about getting a new EB/W Cooper (...a priviledge I'm denied in the U.S. :( ) and I'd go with a silver interior for the same reason....just a bit brighter, more contrast. Actually, I'd want to to the same thing as you with the white mirror caps for the same reason. The dealer should install those, too.

Mary, when your baby gets here you will be SO hooked up. Exciting stuff!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gokartride said:
I think you're right about that silver interior. I sometimes think about getting a new EB/W Cooper (...a priviledge I'm denied in the U.S. :( ) and I'd go with a silver interior for the same reason....just a bit brighter, more contrast. Actually, I'd want to to the same thing as you with the white mirror caps for the same reason. The dealer should install those, too.

Mary, when your baby gets here you will be SO hooked up. Exciting stuff!!!
John, what do you mean about EB/W? I've seen lots of EB Mini's. Oh wait, they're only the MCS, right? Dang. I wish they made everything the same for both models. Why deprive the MC owners certain specs? Like EB, colored dash & doors, etc. I guess maybe they think they'll tempt you into buying the S instead. Who knows.

I can't wait till my baby gets here!!!!! I'm so excited I can't stand it. Sheesh, I feel like a kid in a candy store. I guess I'm just a Mini geek. I have to join a Mini club so I can be around other Mini geeks like me. What fun THAT will be!!!!!

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
Mary -

Thrilling news! I'm very excited for you. Its great to see the process of someone coming here, finding out info, ordering, waiting, finally getting their baby, then motoring along :D

Great choice on the silver dash. I DO like the alloy patina a lot on its own. However, MINI leaves some of the little accent bits silver, and I find the combination of the anthracite or alloy patina with the silver to be confusing. I wish they would make everything silver or alloy patina or anthracite, not just parts. Too bad you can't get the color coded dash - the red would look amazing. I think silver is a great choice though ;)

Personally, I would upgrade to the Premium package since you're so close. As someone else said, you'll not only get the OBC, but the auto A/C as well. The Auto A/C isn't an amazing feature, and I wouldn't spec it independetly, but as part of the package, I think its worth it. Outside of function, asthetically it looks better, in my opnion, than the manual A/C.

Ask your MA about switching to White mirror caps. I agree with you about the white roof, mirrors and wheels - looks great!

I've heard horror stories about car covers, but haven't used them myself. I heard about people using the MINI brand covers, but somehow getting tiny amounts of sand or dirt under them, and having their paint get scratched! :eek: I'll try to find the actual threads for you, so this isn't all just heresay. Everyone with a clear bra just raves about it. After seeing some agressive stone chips on my MINIs bonnet I regretted not getting one. I think installation is kinda pricey though!

Congrats again! Hope the wait is short :cool:

-Stefanie

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Stefanie! It's really nice to be able to come to a place like the Mini2 forums for ideas, help and support. Mini owners are awesome. :D

I'm glad you (and everyone else so far) like the specs. I didn't go overboard but I think it's going to look great. I, personally, love chrome so I'm excited about having lots of it. I think that's what is missing on cars today. Chrome looks so good! :)

Interesting point about the auto A/C. I never looked at either so I'm glad you told me. It's probably worth the extra $300. Plus, I can see just how cold it is outside here in sunny So. Cal. where a "cold" day is 60 degrees! :)

Thanks again!

Mary

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
I never knew what the manual A/C looked like until someone showed me theirs. In case you're curious, a side by side comparison...

Auto A/C - this is from my old Cooper

Manual A/C

I've been told that the Auto A/C is designed to look like the MINI Wings logo.. which, once you look at it, seems to make sense. Pretty cool detail ;) Like I said before, if you're ordering allllmost all of the Premium package, the Auto A/C makes sense. I wouldn't spec it outright, and won't have it on my next car. But, I do prefer the look :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ImaVunDerBrah said:
I never knew what the manual A/C looked like until someone showed me theirs. In case you're curious, a side by side comparison...

Auto A/C - this is from my old Cooper

Manual A/C

I've been told that the Auto A/C is designed to look like the MINI Wings logo.. which, once you look at it, seems to make sense. Pretty cool detail ;) Like I said before, if you're ordering allllmost all of the Premium package, the Auto A/C makes sense. I wouldn't spec it outright, and won't have it on my next car. But, I do prefer the look :)
Stefanie,

Thank you SO much for posting those pics! I also much prefer the look of the auto A/C compared to the manual. It's much more sleek. I'm getting the Premium Package for sure now.

Mary

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
Good choice ;) When you call to add the Premium Package, don't forget to ask about those white mirror caps!

p.s. Mary - just found my replacement MINI. Bought a used 2003, low mileage, off a lot in Toledo. I'm picking him up Monday... will PM to report back with details soon ;) Looks like we're both ending up in Red Coopers :D

Hooray for MINIs!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ImaVunDerBrah said:
Good choice ;) When you call to add the Premium Package, don't forget to ask about those white mirror caps!

p.s. Mary - just found my replacement MINI. Bought a used 2003, low mileage, off a lot in Toledo. I'm picking him up Monday... will PM to report back with details soon ;) Looks like we're both ending up in Red Coopers :D

Hooray for MINIs!!!
YAY!! You're getting you're new Mini on Monday??!!! COOL! I'm so happy for you. You HAVE to PM me with pics!!!! Can't wait to see him. Do you have a name for your new baby yet?

Congrats Stefanie!

Mary

1 - 20 of 31 Posts